UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pinacotheca

ASCLEPIADES

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, look, I fell asleep in my computer chair, and fell out of it because of you and the G-Man. Been sleeping on the deck for an hour at least. I hate you both! Can't y'all give me a break? Not sure of what day it is. My Bride won't serve me any more whisky. What's left to live for? Somehow, I'll get even with y'all. :no2:wotse-flatter1.gif

B)

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Now, look, I fell asleep in my computer chair, and fell out of it because of you and the G-Man. Been sleeping on the deck for an hour at least. I hate you both! Can't y'all give me a break? Not sure of what day it is. My Bride won't serve me any more whisky. What's left to live for? Somehow, I'll get even with y'all.

:no2:

Hint:

One of the Leges Iulia of DCXCV AUC (59 BC) was specifically directed to him.

B)

Are you sure you haven't made a mistake in one of your clues? For example, mistaking two people of the same name?

Sure indeed.

Hint: One of his brothers commit suicide after a public affair with Cato (the Younger).

(EDIT: Strictly business).

Now, look, MPC and I can't both be wrong! At least pay attention to him! :furious: You, you, quack! :no2::ph34r:

Are you nuts impuning the moral standing of Cato!!!??? Get a grip! kngt.gif

B)

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Are you sure you haven't made a mistake in one of your clues? For example, mistaking two people of the same name?

Sure indeed.

Hint: One of his brothers commit suicide after a public affair with Cato (the Younger).

(EDIT: Strictly business).

Now, look, MPC, and I can't both be wrong! At least pay attention to him! :furious: You, you, quack! :no2::ph34r:

are you nuts impuning the moral standing of Cato!!!???

B)

Hint: there were some claims that Hercules might have been among his ancestors.

Hint: there were some claims that Hercules might have been among his ancestors.

Marc Anthony?

OK, Big A - you've had a good run for your money. The Augusta is here to apply her logic of hairstyles and the reading of your clues.

First of all - this man is not Roman due to his hairstyle. On a closer inspection, I noticed that he wears some kind of thing! Then I thought about him being the grandfather of a Triumvir's children - so I went through every Triumvir (both First and Second Triumvirates). I came up with Antony. So, Fulvia, Octavia and Cleopatra. Hence - I have deduced in true Hercule Poirot fashion - that this is Ptolemy XII - or Ptolemy Auletes if you prefer, old Cleo's Dad.

Please tell me I'm right. This one has been very hard. How dare you slip in a non-Roman, you cad! :lol:

OK, Big A - you've had a good run for your money. The Augusta is here to apply her logic of hairstyles and the reading of your clues.

First of all - this man is not Roman due to his hairstyle. On a closer inspection, I noticed that he wears some kind of thing! Then I thought about him being the grandfather of a Triumvir's children - so I went through every Triumvir (both First and Second Triumvirates). I came up with Antony. So, Fulvia, Octavia and Cleopatra. Hence - I have deduced in true Hercule Poirot fashion - that this is Ptolemy XII - or Ptolemy Auletes if you prefer, old Cleo's Dad.

Please tell me I'm right. This one has been very hard. How dare you slip in a non-Roman, you cad! :lol:

Whoa. Now that was good. /Cato bows.

It's true too. Ptolemy committed suicide after Cato told him that Rome wasn't going to prop up his government in Cyprus any longer. Annexing Cyprus as per the lex Clodia (and NOT a lex Julia, as Asclepiades wrongly hinted--tsk tsk), Cato then deposited Ptolemy's treasure of 7000 talents in the Temple of Saturn, thereby cementing Ptolemy's "economic contribution" to Rome. He had been a supporter of Pompey (though not in the Caesarian civil war, as I had mistakenly assumed). Of course, being the father of Cleopatra, he was thereby the grandfather of Caesarion, a child of one of the triumvirs. But what was his musical contribution?

But what was his musical contribution?

"Now all at kings after the third Ptolemy, being corrupted by luxurious living, have administered the affairs of government badly, but worst of all the fourth, seventh, and the last, Auletes, who, apart from his general licentiousness, practised the accompaniment of choruses with the flute, and upon this he prided himself so much that he would not hesitate to celebrate contests in the royal palace, and at these contests would come forward to vie with the opposing contestants." (Strabo, Geography, XVII, 11)

Please tell me I'm right. This one has been very hard. How dare you slip in a non-Roman, you cad! ;)

Salve, Lady A ;) .

Of course you're right :lol: .

(BTW, he is counted as Ptolemy # XI on some lists)

And previously, a Josephus has been posted on this same thread.

Your turn :) .

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Annexing Cyprus as per the lex Clodia (and NOT a lex Julia, as Asclepiades wrongly hinted--tsk tsk),

Here comes The House of Ptolemy by E. R. Bevan (1927), Chapter XII:

In 59 B.C. ... Caesar carried a law, in spite of the opposition of the nobles, by which Ptolemy Auletes was recognized at last as king of Egypt, and, by a new treaty, "ally and friend of the Roman People."

Sequitur