UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Harp/Lyre

Lost_Warrior

Furthermore Ive read the lyre was basically a Greek folk instrument whereas professionals played the cithara (much more likely in Rome).

Yes, I've read that, too.

LW, here's a link to some mp3s of the sound of actual cithara playing. You'll have to tell us how this compares with that gorgeous harp of yours that you've ordered.

-- Nephele

Did the Roman's play instruments for fun?

I know it was important in Greek schooling, and I cant imagine that there was no one playing songs in the Caupona. However, I can imagine that The Patricians felt it beneath them. (It seems a patrician rule that when in doubt get a slave to do it).

After all the one thought I can think of of a Roman playing was Nero "fiddling while rome burned" and (more historically plausible) a woman giving birth while locked into one of his awful recitals.

Both of those are not positive images. (wasn't he a philhellene anyway?)

LW, here's a link to some mp3s of the sound of actual cithara playing. You'll have to tell us how this compares with that gorgeous harp of yours that you've ordered.

Will do, on both counts!! I tried to look up cithara last night but Firefox crashed.

Will do, on both counts!! I tried to look up cithara last night but Firefox crashed.

How long before your harp arrives? Have you considered contacting any SCA folks in your area and arranging to barter for lessons? By bartering your smithing skills, you can probably work out a terrific deal.

-- Nephele

How long before your harp arrives? Have you considered contacting any SCA folks in your area and arranging to barter for lessons? By bartering your smithing skills, you can probably work out a terrific deal.

Arrived today, has a crack in the frame, will probably need to be sent back. *bawls*

I don't have any SCA in the area.

Arrived today, has a crack in the frame, will probably need to be sent back. *bawls*

Oh, no. I know you were really looking forward to getting her, too, and naming her. Oh, I'm so sorry, LW. :ph34r:

-- Nephele

*is sad* I did manage to play her some, couldn't resist...went to close the windows upstairs and it took me an hour LOL.

I'm really glad that site you linked had recreations of actual Citharas...I was wondering what one looked like!! I tried to look it up last night, but got nowhere. I saw a statue bearing one, but I couldn't make sense of what it was supposed to look like or how it was supposed to work.