UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Baths for sale

Pertinax

At last a chance for the Forum to get a decent clubhouse!

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle2511780.ece

Oh yeah baby that's it! No doubt! How much was it now the domain was worth? Maybe you can arrange a trade!

Anyway on a serious side note, it's quite sad to see that you just can sell something like that. I should be preserved for the public and future not exploited by private owners.

Oh yeah baby that's it! No doubt! How much was it now the domain was worth? Maybe you can arrange a trade!

Anyway on a serious side note, it's quite sad to see that you just can sell something like that. I should be preserved for the public and future not exploited by private owners.

I don't know about that, this place is actually about 2 miles from me. It desperately needs conservation work. It has been mainly excavated by an enthusiastic although q. skilled amateur (not me! I have no skills!). Why should selling it to a private individual mean that it will not be open to the public? Even if one of our national heritage bodies owned it you would be charged to see it (rightly so - its not free to conserve), there would be a gift shop etc etc. In the hands of a private individual they will probably do the same. In fact I would rather see it in private hands from what I have seen of heritage conservatio in this area. This is 1066 country, where the Battle of Hastings took place ( which I am going to assume most of you know about). The Abbey on the battlefield is very well managed by English Heritage, but it isn't earth shattering in its presentation although its historically astonishingly important. In the town we also have a musuem of shops, privately owned, it is a tourist attraction and it is fantastic, it has won many awards and is a real labour of love, although it undoubtedly makes a lot of money. Nearby we have some smugglers caves, which again are privately owned and brilliantly presented. We need to keep people interested in their history and to do that we need to really bring it alive, I sometimes think this is done with more orginality and flair by the private sector. I think that we can control what the private sector does to our heritage but I see no reason why they shouldn't make money out of it too, shouldn't people be rewarded for their work?

By the way, the place is not attached to a vill or anything and currently stands under a platic roof in a wood, where no-one can see it as it gently moulders away. It is thought to have been an army baths probably for washing off after a hard day iron mining. I have an open cast iron mine face and two old roman quarries on the farm. They have been dug and surveyed and we found almost sweet FA, interesting, but now they are just part of the farm again, and one is under an orchard, even though I am a classical historian I say that life has to move on. Italy would starve if you stopped them doing anything where there was some archaeology

;)

SF