UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Peculiar Uses of Coal In Roman Britain: Panelling and Jewellery

Faustus

(I was given a copy of ROMAN BRITAIN years ago by neighbor and fellow Romanophile. It contains many interesting details of life in Roman-Britain that surprise and amuse - here are the chapters in ROMAN BRITAIN: 1. Military History 57-pgs; 2. Town and Urban Centres 43-pgs; The Countryside 40-pgs; Economics 37-pgs; Religious Cults 29-pgs (bibliography/index)

Romano-Britons put Coal to Some Unusual Uses:

"Coal was also mined in Roman Britain, though it never became, as far as is known, an item of export; and British coal is only mentioned once in Roman literature, as a curiosity seen upon the altars of Sulis Minerva at Aquae Sulis (Bath). Its tendency to

Edited by Faustus

This doesn't seem so unusual to me...but then, I live not too far from some of the mining towns of PA; coal jewelery is sold in those places, mostly as cheesy souvenirs, however some of it is actually decent looking. There are also coal carvings of animals, trains, etc. which are really quite good, and very sturdy. Not to mention beautiful! I could see making a table out of it!

Whitby was a popular Victorian centre for this trade,

http://www.whitbyjet.co.uk/shop/catpages/misc.html

this is jewellery and other minor things, but many 19th C pieces are still highly sought after.