UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cassius Loginus

Major Roman Families

Where can I find genealogy charts of the major families of Rome from 500BC to 300AD.

Thanks.

If you are looking for a quick breakdown by name I suggest Les Gentes Romaines. It is a site in French but is easy to navigate and understand and gives notable members of Roman families by Gens. You may also want to look up families in Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology

For both of these links, you need to know who you are looking for though. It is hard to decide which is a "Major Family" so a comprehensive lists may not be available, but, if you know who you want to find, these links should be a good start. For example, here is the Caesar branch from gens Julia in Smith's dictionary. Perhaps Nephele or others will be able to share more resources. Good luck!

Edited by Publius Nonius Severus

Those were good sources provided by P. Nonius Severus. For another quick and easy online source, Wikipedia has a few family trees posted, but you may want to double-check these against another source:

Caecilius Metellus family tree

Julio-Claudian family tree

Severan dynasty family tree

And here are some additional family trees from Smith's:

Stemma Pisonum

Stemma Octaviorum

Stemma Drusorum

Stemma Manliorum Torquatorum

Stemma Pompeiorum

Stemma of Caracalla

Stemma Seleucidarum

Stemma Aemiliorum Paulorum

Stemma Crassorum

Stemma Ahenobarborum

Stemma Sassanidarum

Stemma Claudiorum

Stemma Laeliorum

Stemma Carbonum

Stemma of M. Junius Brutus

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

Friedrich Munzers "Roman Aristocratic Parties and Families" has 28 Genealogical tables including the Servilii, Quinctii, Aemilii Lepidi, Licinii, Livii, Cornelii Scipiones, Metelli and several showing the relationships of Cato, Brutus and Servilia. This book was published in 1920 and thus is dated in places, but it was the seminal work in this area.

My stemma for Porcii Catones:

Brilliant! I especially like the way you worked the illustrations into "your" family tree!

-- Nephele

My stemma for Porcii Catones:

Very nice work indeed, as usual.

BTW, I wasn't able to identify the patrician marriage of M. Pocius Cato "Licinianus" described by Plutarch on Parallel Lives, Cato Maior, Ch. XXIV, sec. I:

"After the death of his wife, he (Cato Maior) married his son to the daughter of Aemilius Paulus, the sister of Scipio..."