UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Inca Sacrifices 'Fattened Up' Before Death

Children sacrificed by the Inca appear to have been "fattened up" in a yearlong ritual, new research suggests.

Researchers studied hair from the heads and in small bags accompanying four mummies of children sacrificed in Inca rituals. Their findings are reported in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The children's hair had been cut first a year and then six months before they were killed. By studying the chemicals preserved in the hair researchers can calculate the diet of the children.

Read more here.

The article doesn't speculate on why they wanted to fatten them up. Hopefully it wasn't for the BBQ!

(On another note, if they wanted to fatten those kids up, they should have just done like we do in modern society and give them X-Box or Nintendo)

Salve, Amici.

From the linked note, I would think the expressed opinions were an educated guess (at best), maybe adding a piece of sensationalism.

I think the Quechua (Inca) and their predecessors buiplt up the biggest civilization that lacked any form of writing system; an obvious caveat is that we simply have a very poor idea of their religious conceptions.

In my research, the saddest part of the sacrifice of the children was the wearing of metallic jewelry. Even though they may look peaceful, they generally were blasted by lightning. The jewelry turned them into gigantic lightning rods. Check the photos. You will see black marks around the hands, neck, and ankles were jewelry was. Quite sad really.