UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

First Century BCE

DDickey

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums here and I'm looking for a book, or books, that paints a fairly vivid picture of the city itself during the first century BCE. I know this is a broad request, but I'm curious to find out what the city was like, the layout of the city, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D.

I wish I could find that book too!

In the meantime, you might enjoy City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction by David Macaulay. Yes, it's meant for young adults, so it lacks any kind of scholarly apparatus (footnotes, references to source material, etc). Nevertheless, it's a lovely introduction to how Roman cities were conceived and built, nicely illustrated by detailed drawings that won the author a medal from the American Institute of Architects.

It dosen't quite fit the criteria but it's an excellent book non the less, it really does take you back to ancient Rome. Well worth the read anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Rome-Five-...9572&sr=1-1

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums here and I'm looking for a book, or books, that paints a fairly vivid picture of the city itself during the first century BCE. I know this is a broad request, but I'm curious to find out what the city was like, the layout of the city, etc.

Thanks,

D.

Salve, DD.

Notwithstanding its title, I would say Tom Holland's Rubicon may be also a good candidate.

Valete.

Hello all,

Thanks,

D.

Salve, DD.

Notwithstanding its title, I would say Tom Holland's Rubicon may be also a good candidate.

Valete.

It's funny you mention that. I'm almost finished with Rubicon, but I want more! I truly love that period in history and would really love to immerse myself in it, so to speak.

The Urban Image of Augustan Rome by Diane Favro is an excellent book on first-century Rome: it discusses both the physical appearance of Augustus' Rome, but also the physical progression of the city from Republic (a period to which half the book is dedicated) to principate.

Hello all,

Thanks,

D.

Salve -

I found that a really good map of present day Rome is helpful; one with a plastic coating, with inner city Rome on one side and Rome and environs on the other. It is great for putting past and present Rome into perspective.

Once you've searched out all the valuable links being provided here in answer to your question about first century BCE Rome you might want to get one. It is helpful to see a map like this, as a good one will show in precise scale the location relative to each other of the major ancient structures, walls, gates, etc. and suggests how development has taken place since but also how it took place in ancient times.

It was my desire in the first place, to see how the ancient city had melded into the modern one, and how they interface today. Since getting it I