UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"Bring Back the Greek Gods"

Prominent secular and atheist commentators have argued lately that religion "poisons" human life and causes endless violence and suffering. But the poison isn't religion; it's monotheism. The polytheistic Greeks didn't advocate killing those who worshiped different gods, and they did not pretend that their religion provided the right answers.

I find myself very impressed by this article, as I thought it would be ridiculous after reading the title. It's a most intelligent text. Thanks for posting it MPC!

Prominent secular and atheist commentators have argued lately that religion "poisons" human life and causes endless violence and suffering. But the poison isn't religion; it's monotheism. The polytheistic Greeks didn't advocate killing those who worshiped different gods, and they did not pretend that their religion provided the right answers.

I find myself very impressed by this article, as I thought it would be ridiculous after reading the title. It's a most intelligent text. Thanks for posting it MPC!

Indeed, it's well written and the point is clear. If I wasn't so bull-headed, I probably wouldn't mind being a traditionalist pagan.

Indeed, it's well written and the point is clear. If I wasn't so bull-headed, I probably wouldn't mind being a traditionalist pagan.

Well there's a huge difference between having a good point about a religion and making a good argument for conversion. The lines I quoted are well written and have a very valid point but they don't say anything about religion as a belief and to me that, not logic or reason, is the core of a religion.

Enjoyable MPC. Whilst I draw the line at the interpretation of entrails for Divine signification I am certainly happy to sacrifice animals for culinary and spiritual reasons.

Enjoyable MPC. Whilst I draw the line at the interpretation of entrails for Divine signification I am certainly happy to sacrifice animals for culinary and spiritual reasons.

I was trying not to go there, what with our previous thread on sacrifices and discussion on them being anything other than bbq's/community meals. Otherwise, I found the article to be a sound one.

I was trying not to go there, what with our previous thread on sacrifices and discussion on them being anything other than bbq's/community meals. Otherwise, I found the article to be a sound one.

You both would love the Quaker cemetery in the park across the street from me. Cops are always finding strangled chickens, sacrificed goats, dogs, cats, etc. Enjoy!

I think I'll move this to the after hours forums, as it's more of a modern opinion piece (though with insightful analysis of historical paradigms).

One thing I don't like is that the author seems to paint all Monotheists with the same brush. Jews generally don't convert other people to Monotheism at the tip of a sword ...

One thing I don't like is that the author seems to paint all Monotheists with the same brush. Jews generally don't convert other people to Monotheism at the tip of a sword ...

When it comes to refraining from pestering people, I think Jews and the Amish have a lot in common. :)

-- Nephele

When it comes to refraining from pestering people, I think Jews and the Amish have a lot in common. :)

-- Nephele

Amen. . .to that

And if you've ever smelled an Amishman, you'll be thankful they keep to themselves.

When I go to Amish country, I'm too infatuated with their horses to notice personal hygiene. I always thought that was the coolest thing about being Amish. You know, riding around in a horse and buggy.

Amish Paradise

"At 4:30 in the morning I'm milking cows. Jebadiah feeds the chickens and Jacob plows. Fool... But if I finish all of my chores and you finish thine, then tonight we're gonna party like it's 1699."

-- Nephele

And if you've ever smelled an Amishman, you'll be thankful they keep to themselves.

When I go to Amish country, I'm too infatuated with their horses to notice personal hygiene. I always thought that was the coolest thing about being Amish. You know, riding around in a horse and buggy.

Amish Paradise

"At 4:30 in the morning I'm milking cows. Jebadiah feeds the chickens and Jacob plows. Fool... But if I finish all of my chores and you finish thine, then tonight we're gonna party like it's 1699."

-- Nephele

Salve -

Very interesting piece by Wierd Al. I suspect the Amish would enjoy it too.

Here in Southern Indiana we have a large Amish Community. Visiting relatives west and south of BloomingTion, Indianensis usually means an encounter with a horse drawn carriage. Sometimes it is very cold and icy out, and you just know the family is inside finding some way to keep warm, all bundled up together.

I have actually seen an Amish man back up a horse like shown in Wierd Al's Video, though they will unhook auxiliary wagons in-tow when they pull into a business place to avoid the need to back both of them up. That is because that will create a snarl or a "jack-knife". I have only seen one car/carriage crash in 45 years of driving through there, as they stay on the shoulders as much as possible while on the main highways.

When waiting for the "driver" to return to the carriage or sometimes an open wagon oftentimes the horses will show their impatience, by stamping the ground regularly, and heavy breathing through the mouth flapping their lips a lot, and snorting up a storm.

The Phone booth in the video? It actually gets a lot of use, and I'm sure the bill gets paid, since they don't have phones in their homes. If they expect a call, they'll wait near the phone booth or have a youngster wait for the call. (I remember a joke long ago with some credibility that old "Willis" had to climb a telephone pole to use the phone)

Often times they will find a "front" man to handle things which would seem "untoward" like: driving a crew truck to get to the construction site, handle business affairs But more and more they are being forced to do as the "Romans" do: use electric tools, drive trucks, carry cell phones, etc, etc.

They are increasingly in business operating small stores selling "natural" foods, cheeses, hams, free range eggs, "notions", etc.

The redolence comment by Ursus is true for those with "sensitive" noses.

Edited by Faustus

Amish Paradise

-- Nephele

Gotta love Wierd Al! Anyone who's seen his other videos? I've got a collection and was watching some of them as lately as last night. Really great stuff, highly recommended!