UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

3000+ year old chocolate drink found

Telegraph

scichoc112.jpg

Vessel of the same type as the one found in Honduras

Our love affair with chocolate began at least 500 years earlier than previously thought, and was combined with a love of alcohol too, according to traces of the treat found in pottery shards uncovered in Honduras.

Today, researchers say that residue of the chemical theobromine, which occurs in Mesoamerica only in the cacao plant used to make chocolate, is present in the shattered remains of liquid-holding pottery vessels dating from somewhere between 1400 and 1100 BC, marking the earliest known chocolate drink of the New World.

The style of the pottery used to pour this drink - elegant serving vessels with spouts and decorated with motifs - indicates that cacao was served at important ceremonies to mark weddings and births, according to the team.

The previous oldest evidence was recovered from brown residues found inside 2,600-year-old Mayan pottery - chocolate vessels - from Colha, in what is now northern Belize.

Chocolate was a key part of elite Mayan culture, notably in its weddings. The word for chocolate - ka-ka-w in ancient Mayan hieroglyphs - often appears on the outside of Mayan chocolate vessels.

Mmmmm. Chocolate.

Salve, Amici.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but as Mesoamericans had neither sugar nor milk, their Xocolatl was a quite bitter beaverage, a mixture of crushed cocoa beans with water, chili, achiote and maize, extremely unpleasant for the Conqueror's taste (and presumably also for us).

It was almost entirely reserved for religious and therapeutic purposes, as it was considerably expensive (after all, they were literally ingesting their currency, the equivalent of a paper-money's milkshake for our time).

Even if Mesoamericans had honey (their only sweetener) there is no evidence they ever used it on the Xocolatl.

Mmmmm. Chocolate.

Salve, Amici.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but as Mesoamericans had neither sugar nor milk, their Xocolatl was a quite bitter beaverage, a mixture of crushed cocoa beans with water, chili, achiote and maize, extremely unpleasant for the Conqueror's taste (and presumably also for us).

It was almost entirely reserved for religious and therapeutic purposes, as it was considerably expensive (after all, they were literally ingesting their currency, the equivalent of a paper-money's milkshake for our time).

Even if Mesoamericans had honey (their only sweetener) there is no evidence they ever used it on the Xocolatl.

I've actually had the xocolatl drink (or a decent facsimile)...and, yes, it is bitter, but...how do I describe it...

Ok, I like things to be slightly sour--my lemonades are never truly sweet, nor is my ice tea--and I prefer tartness. Even in my vinagrettes I put in a little more vinegar than usual, as I like a lighter 'tang'. So with the xocolatl, I liked the bitterness...it wasn't so bitter that it couldn't be drunk, but wasn't sweet at all. I found it to be pleasant...but I could definitely see how the Spaniards (and others) didn't care for it at all.

And, no, it didn't taste like chocolate...closer to the taste if you've had mole de chocolate, which doesn't taste like chocolate, either. But it's that note...that distinct note that dark/bittersweet chocolate has...that's what you get from the drink and the sauce.

G-Man, you just utterly rock...

Speaking of udderly rocks ...

555mudslidetherockiq2.png

(Oh, I am SO going to Tarsus!)

G-Man, you just utterly rock...

Speaking of udderly rocks ...

555mudslidetherockiq2.png

(Oh, I am SO going to Tarsus!)

Looks like you're going to milk this joke for all it's worth.

-- Nephele

Looks like you're going to milk this joke for all it's worth.

-- Nephele

Hey! Don't have a cow, Neph!