UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Celtiberian Lady of Elx

M. Porcius Cato

Hahaha! Seriously, though, science fiction often draws on ancient history for themes, settings, and costuming. The sci-fi television series Battlestar Galactica (both original and updated versions) made heavy use of Judeo-Graeco mythology for the names of their characters and the legends affirming their characters' quests.

Fun find, MPC.

-- Nephele

The sci-fi television series Battlestar Galactica (both original and updated versions) made heavy use of Judeo-Graeco mythology for the names of their characters and the legends affirming their characters' quests.

And they cast Aphrodite herself as Caprica-Six.

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

The sci-fi television series Battlestar Galactica (both original and updated versions) made heavy use of Judeo-Graeco mythology for the names of their characters and the legends affirming their characters' quests.

And they cast Aphrodite herself as Caprica-Six.

An extremely versatile actress, that Tricia Helfer. She recently appeared in the television series Supernatural, and I swear I didn't immediately recognize her.

Another sci-fi series that drew on history for themes is Firefly (with the spin-off movie Serenity) -- only that one had more to do with the old American West than ancient history.

And, of course, there was Stargate, which had gods of various ancient cultures appearing as aliens (posing as gods) for the purpose of enslaving humankind.

-- Nephele

Actually, I've noticed a lot of "ancient sci-fi" to. I can't think of any specific examples, but a lot of women in sci fi seem to be wearing Greek or Roman type garments. Armor is often modeled (albeit LOOSELY) off of ancient sources as well; either Greek, Roman or Medieval. So are a lot of weapons.