UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Time to buy wine

Kosmo

The low dollar will make european wines more expansive on the US market. Good time to stock on your favorites. [They have been much too expensive for years.]

It's also a good time for europeans to shop in the US. [They are already here en masse.]

The low dollar will make european wines more expansive on the US market. Good time to stock on your favorites.

It's also a good time for europeans to shop in the US.

I was going to pick up a case of Bud Light on the way home tonight. Does that count?

Bud Lite? You barbarian! Old Milwaukee!

:)

I believe the proper name is "Old Swill"

That and Black Label were my budget beers of choice back in college. Brrrrrrr ... !

Actually, while many French wines have been (IMO) overpriced, many Spanish and Italian wines have been reasonably priced over the years.

For Americans, the best buys right now are South American and Aussie wines...great on the palate, great on the pocketbook.

Aussie wines...great on the palate, great on the pocketbook.

My wife loves Little Penguin Wine.

Bud Lite? You barbarian! Old Milwaukee!

:ph34r:

I believe the proper name is "Old Swill"

That and Black Label were my budget beers of choice back in college. Brrrrrrr ... !

My Good Man!

Some years ago, Old Milwaukee was put up against a gaggle of beers, including such titles as Heineken, by Consumer Reports. Hate to rain on your parade, but O.M. won gulps down.

You went to college?, or was it Reform School?

Your most obedient servant,

Edited by Gaius Octavius

My Good Man!

Some years ago, Old Milwaukee was put up against a gaggle of beers, including such titles as Heineken, by Consumer Reports. Hate to rain on your parade, but O.M. won gulps down.

You went to college?, or was it Reform School?

Your most obedient servant,

No doubt they sampled it last and given the mass quantities already consumed during the rest of the taste tests, they were guilty of VUI ... Voting Under the Influence

It is worthwhile buying New World wines only if you are not allergic to the additives they tend to put in them to speed up the process.

As we prefer a wine of distinction and smooth to the palate without that risk then we will continue to buy quality wines from France , Italy and Germany with the occasional break out for one of the new English or New World wines that we know are made in the same way

It is worthwhile buying New World wines only if you are not allergic to the additives they tend to put in them to speed up the process.

As we prefer a wine of distinction and smooth to the palate without that risk then we will continue to buy quality wines from France , Italy and Germany with the occasional break out for one of the new English or New World wines that we know are made in the same way

I wasn't aware of 'additive' being put in many wines. Could you elaborate a bit more?

Sulfides. Remember the Algerian and Kali4kneeya scandals of some time back?

That is the problem with most of the New World wines and why we generally won't touch them. Luckily it is usually possible to smell the vile stuff as soon as the bottle is opened but that doesn't help if you only realise after you have bought the bottle. :(

Sulfides. Remember the Algerian and Kali4kneeya scandals of some time back?

That is the problem with most of the New World wines and why we generally won't touch them. Luckily it is usually possible to smell the vile stuff as soon as the bottle is opened but that doesn't help if you only realise after you have bought the bottle. :(

As to the Algerian wine, it had been dumped into a very well respected French wine for decades. Somehow, the French government caught up with it. The Kali squeezings were shown to be half and half and not the proper variety they were supposed to be. Austrian wines are supposed to be full of sulfides. After WWII, in Italy, people sold 'chianti' from their Vespas. No grape squeezings in it at all!

I am waiting for some good old Brookfordshiresexingham home squeezings to reappear.

Edited by Gaius Octavius