UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Byzantium 1200 website update

Ludovicus

http://www.byzantium1200.com/introduction.html

The above site, with many beautiful reconstructions of Constantinople, has been updated. Click on "What's New."

Wow... Impressive stuff. It's really detailed!

Is a free flying mode possible?

Yes, what I also like about the site is the number of pre 1200 AD buildings they feature. One recent addition was a reconstruction of the column of Justinian, a monument I had never heard of before.

Why don't you email the authors of the site to see if they have a CD version of Byzantium 1200 for sale. Otherwise, with a good internet browser you could download the entire site for viewing offline and for storing on your computer.

• 2 months later...

In the past few months the website has added new and fascinating reconstructions. My favorite is the Capitolium of Constantinople. Pay attention to the reliefs attached to the columns. Where have you seen them before? Click on "What's New" for more.

http://www.byzantium1200.com/capitolium.html

What awonderful website. The model of the capitoleum I find particularly interesting; it seems that the full - on classical building style was still with us as late as the reign of Constantine, whereas I previously though it had died out, along with many other things, sometime during the crisis. Are some of these models constructed in the traditional fashion before being transformed into a digital, 3-D model? Some of them look like it. Makes me feel like chucking away my my model making equipment and going to live in a monestery somewhere.

Edited by Northern Neil

What awonderful website. The model of the capitoleum I find particularly interesting; it seems that the full - on classical building style was still with us as late as the reign of Constantine, whereas I previously though it had died out, along with many other things, sometime during the crisis. Are some of these models constructed in the traditional fashion before being transformed into a digital, 3-D model? Some of them look like it. Makes me feel like chucking away my my model making equipment and going to live in a monestery somewhere.

Neil,

Glad you enjoy the eye candy. Remember, the capitolium complex, as least in part, reused a previously pagan temple. So what you're looking at in the reconstruction is a prechristian building, probably predating Constantine. Have you clicked on the other reconstructions posted this year?

Neil,

Glad you enjoy the eye candy. Remember, the capitolium complex, as least in part, reused a previously pagan temple. So what you're looking at in the reconstruction is a prechristian building, probably predating Constantine. Have you clicked on the other reconstructions posted this year?

I certainly have. I am looking through them right now! Are some of these models traditional cardboard and glue, or does it just appear so? Does the site tell me itself if I explore it properly and stop jumping from page to page like an excited child?

Neil,

I certainly have. I am looking through them right now! Are some of these models traditional cardboard and glue, or does it just appear so? Does the site tell me itself if I explore it properly and stop jumping from page to page like an excited child?

" Reconstruction sketches were rare and for some buildings we were only able to find ground plans. And sometimes we couldn't even find any data about them. I was on the roofs taking measures on a few occasions.

The reconstructions that existed were sketches or 2D plans. When I transferred them into the computer's three-dimensional environment they were not always matching and this was causing hard to solve problems.

Our work process with Albrecht Berger was as follows: First, we were taking photocopies of the plans and reconstruction sketches in the books. If those were not available, and the building was still erect, I would go and take measures of the building. Later, he marked up the additions or changes made after 1200 and I transferred the measures into computer by a CAD program . By revolving 360 around the model I formed a simple animation and showed it to him. Albrecht Berger, after watching the animation would make the necessary corrections by considering the suggestions I proposed for the three-dimensional problems and then the building would become final."

I found the above in the site's introduction:

http://www.byzantium1200.com/introduction.html