UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Forum Calendar

I noticed the calendar for January has only one event marked. Caligula was assassinated on the 24th of January. I only know this because that's my birthday. I didn't want to go in there and add it myself, because I didn't think it would be appropriate, so I thought I'd suggest adding it here.

EDIT: Thank you for moving this. Again, sorry about that.

Edited by DDickey

I noticed the calendar for January has only one event marked. Caligula was assassinated on the 24th of January. I only know this because that's my birthday. I didn't want to go in there and add it myself, because I didn't think it would be appropriate, so I thought I'd suggest adding it here.

EDIT: Thank you for moving this. Again, sorry about that.

Add away... that's what it's there for. Provided entries are appropriate and related, we encourage it.

I have to admit that I've never really had a good look at our Calendar feature on the board. It seems it could do with some additions.

Any chance those Roman festival dates compiled by Ursus might be added to the Calendar?

-- Nephele

Any chance those Roman festival dates compiled by Ursus might be added to the Calendar?

-- Nephele

You have to add an individual entry to each date, which is time consuming.

Later today I will add the most important of the religious festivals for the year, but I will omit the many minor ones.

If someone could compose a list of the most important political events, I could add that as well.

I have to admit that I've never really had a good look at our Calendar feature on the board. It seems it could do with some additions.

-- Nephele

You have to add an individual entry to each date, which is time consuming.

Later today I will add the most important of the religious festivals for the year, but I will omit the many minor ones.

I someone could compose a list of the most important political events, I could add that as well.

What about a list of the date of birth's and death's of the most prominent men and women of the republic/empire?

I someone could compose a list of the most important political events, I could add that as well.

Here are some dates in Roman history for the months of January and February, gleaned from Wikipedia (where Wikipedia cites the following sources: The BBC's "On This Day" and The New York Times' "On This Day." (This list includes birth dates and death dates of prominent Romans.)

JANUARY 1

153 BCE - Roman consuls begin their year in office.

45 BCE - The Julian calendar takes effect for the first time. 404 - The last known gladiator competition in Rome takes place.

JANUARY 2

366 - The Alamanni cross the frozen Rhine River in large numbers, invading the Roman Empire.

JANUARY 3

106 BCE - The birth of Cicero, Roman statesman and philosopher (d. 43 BCE)

JANUARY 4

46 BCE - Titus Labienus defeats Julius Caesar in the Battle of Ruspina.

JANUARY 10

49 BCE - Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, signaling the start of civil war.

JANUARY 13

86 BCE - The death of Gaius Marius, Roman general and politician (b. 157 BCE)

JANUARY 14

83 BCE - The birth of Marcus Antonius, Roman politician (d. 30 BCE)

JANUARY 15

69 - Otho seizes power in Rome, proclaiming himself Emperor of Rome, but only rules for three months before committing suicide.

69 - The death of Galba, Roman Emperor (b. 3 BCE)

JANUARY 16

27 BCE - The title Augustus is bestowed upon Gaius Julius Caesar Octavian by the Roman Senate.

JANUARY 17

38 BCE - Octavian marries Livia Drusilla.

395 - The death of Theodosius I, Roman Emperor

JANUARY 18

350 - General Magnentius deposes Roman Emperor Constans, proclaims himself Emperor.

52 BCE - The death of Publius Clodius Pulcher (murdered)

350 - The death of Constans, Roman Emperor, (b. 320)

JANUARY 20

225 - The birth of Gordian III, Roman Emperor (d. 244)

JANUARY 23

393 - Roman Emperor Theodosius I proclaims his nine year old son Honorius co-emperor.

JANUARY 24

41 - Gaius Caesar (Caligula) (b. 12), known for his eccentricity and cruel despotism, is assassinated by his disgruntled Praetorian Guards. Claudius succeeds his nephew.

76 - The birth of Hadrian, Roman Emperor (d. 138)

JANUARY 25

41 - After a night of negotiation, Claudius is accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate.

JANUARY 27

98 - Trajan becomes Roman Emperor after the death of Nerva

98 - Death of Nerva, Roman Emperor (b. 35)

JANUARY 30

133 - The birth of Marcus Severus Didius Julianus, Roman Emperor (d. 193)

FEBRUARY 4

211 - Roman Emperor Septimius Severus dies, leaving the Roman Empire in the hands of his two quarrelsome sons, Caracalla and Geta.

362 - Roman Emperor Julian promulgates an edict that recognizes equal rights to all the religions in the Roman Empire.

FEBRUARY 6

46 BCE - Julius Caesar defeats the combined army of Pompeian followers and Numidians under Metellus Scipio and Juba at Thapsus.

FEBRUARY 8

421 - Constantius III becomes co-Emperor of the Western Roman Empire.

FEBRUARY 12

55 - Tiberius Claudius Caesar Britannicus, heir to the Roman Emperorship, dies under mysterious curcimstances in Rome, and later Emperor Nero rises to the throne.

FEBRUARY 17

197 - Battle of Lugdunum - Roman Emperor Septimius Severus defeats and kills his rival Clodius Albinus, securing full control over the Empire.

364 - The death of Jovian, Roman Emperor

FEBRUARY 19

197 - Roman Emperor Septimius Severus defeats usurper Clodius Albinus in the Battle of Lugdunum, the bloodiest battle between Roman armies.

197 - The death of Clodius Albinus, Roman governor of Britain

FEBRUARY 25

138 - The Emperor Hadrian adopts Antoninus Pius, effectively making him his successor.

FEBRUARY 26

364 - Valentinian I is proclaimed Roman Emperor.

FEBRUARY 27

272 - The birth of Constantine I, Roman emperor (d. 337)

FEBRUARY 28

364 - Valentinian I is elevated as Roman Emperor.

-- Nephele

Ye gods! I appreciate the research, but there is so much just for those 2 months, I can't imagine doing a whole year's worth.

I will add what I think is the most important stuff. Precendence will be given to the Late Republic and early empire.

I'll continue with the list because, frankly, I'm enjoying this. Just pick and choose which dates you feel are most useful for the Calendar.

I noticed that both February 17th and 19th are given for the same event: 197 "Battle of Lugdunum - Roman Emperor Septimius Severus defeats and kills his rival Clodius Albinus, securing full control over the Empire." Is this an error on the part of Wikipedia, or is there some debate as to this actual date?

Events for the months of March, April and May.

MARCH 1

86 BCE - Lucius Cornelius Sulla, at the head of a Roman Republic army, enters in Athens, removing the tyrant Aristion who was supported by troops of Mithridates VI of Pontus.

286 - Roman Emperor Diocletian raises Maximian to the rank of Caesar.

293 - Roman Emperors Diocletian and Maximian appoint Constantius Chlorus and Galerius as Caesares, thus beginning the Tetrarchy.

317 - Crispus and Constantine II, sons of Roman Emperor Constantine I, and Licinius iunior, son of Emperor Licinius, are made Caesares

MARCH 4

51 - Nero, later to become Roman Emperor, is given the title princeps iuventutis (head of the youth).

MARCH 5

363 - Roman Emperor Julian moves from Antioch with an army of 90,000 to attack the Sassanid Empire, in a campaign which will bring about his own death.

MARCH 7

161 - Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius dies and is succeeded by co-Emperors Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, an unprecedented political arrangement in the Roman Empire.

321 - Roman Emperor Constantine I decrees that the dies Solis Invicti (sun-day) is the day of rest in the Empire.

189 - Birth of Publius Septimius Geta, Roman Emperor (d. 211)

161 - Death of Antoninus Pius, Roman Emperor (b. 86)

MARCH 10

241 BCE - First Punic War: Battle of the Aegates Islands - The Romans sink the Carthaginian fleet; end of First Punic War.

MARCH 11

222 - Death of Elagabalus, Roman Emperor

222 - Death of Julia Soaemias, mother of Elagabalus (b. 180)

MARCH 15

44 BCE - Julius Caesar, Dictator of the Roman Republic, is stabbed to death by Marcus Junius Brutus, Gaius Cassius Longinus, Decimus Junius Brutus and several other Roman senators on the Ides of March.

MARCH 16

37 - Death of Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar, Roman Emperor (b. 46 BCE)

455 - Death of Valentinian III, Roman Emperor (b. 419)

MARCH 17

45 BCE - In his last victory, Julius Caesar defeats the Pompeian forces of Titus Labienus and Pompey the Younger in the Battle of Munda.

45 BCE - Death of Titus Labienus, Roman leader

45 BCE - Death of Gnaeus Pompeius, the Younger, Roman general

180 - Death of Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor (b. 121)

MARCH 18

37 - The Roman Senate annuls Tiberius' will and proclaims Caligula emperor.

MARCH 20

43 BCE - Birth of Ovid, Roman poet (d. 17)

MARCH 22

238 - Gordian I and his son Gordian II are proclaimed Roman emperors.

MARCH 28

37 - Roman Emperor Caligula accepts the titles of the Principate, entitled to him by the Senate.

193 - Roman Emperor Pertinax is assassinated by Praetorian Guards, who then sell the throne in an auction to Didius Julianus.

364 - Roman Emperor Valentinian I appoints his brother Flavius Valens co-emperor.

MARCH 31

307 - After divorcing his wife Minervina, Constantine marries Fausta, the daughter of the retired Roman Emperor Maximian.

250 - Birth of Constantius Chlorus, Roman Emperor (d. 306)

APRIL 2

68 - Galba, governor of Hispania, names himself legatus senatus populique Romani, breaking the line of Roman emperors begun with Julius Caesar and Augustus.

APRIL 4

186 - Birth of Caracalla, Roman emperor (d. 217)

APRIL 6

402 - Stilicho stymies the Visigoths under Alaric in the Battle of Pollentia.

APRIL 8

217 - Roman Emperor Caracalla is assassinated (and succeeded) by his Praetorian Guard prefect, Marcus Opellius Macrinus.

APRIL 9

193 - Septimius Severus is proclaimed Roman Emperor by the army in Illyricum (in the Balkans).

APRIL 11

146 - Birth of Septimius Severus (d. 211)

APRIL 12

467 - Anthemius is elevated to Emperor of the Western Roman Empire

65 - Death of Seneca the Younger, Roman philosopher, statesman and dramatist

238 - Death of Gordian I, Roman Emperor (suicide)

238 - Death of Gordian II, heir to the Roman Empire (killed in battle)

APRIL 14

43 BCE - Battle of Forum Gallorum. Mark Antony, besieging Julius Caesar's assassin Decimus Junius Brutus in Mutina, defeats the forces of the consul Pansa, who is killed.

69 - Vitellius, commander of the Rhine armies, defeats Emperor Otho in the Battle of Bedriacum and seizes the throne.

APRIL 16

73 - Masada, a Jewish fortress, falls to the Romans after several months of siege, ending the Jewish Revolt.

69 - Death of Otho, Roman Emperor (b. 32)

APRIL 17

69 - After the First Battle of Bedriacum, Vitellius becomes Roman Emperor.

APRIL 21

753 BCE - Romulus and Remus found Rome (traditional).

43 BCE - Battle of Mutina: Mark Antony is again defeated in battle by Aulus Hirtius, who is killed. Although Antony fails to capture Mutina, Decimus Brutus is murdered shortly afterwards.

APRIL 22

455 - Death of Petronius Maximus, Roman Emperor

APRIL 23

215 BCE - A temple is built on the Capitoline Hill dedicated to Venus Erycina to commemorate the Roman defeat at Lake Trasimene.

APRIL 25

32 - Birth of Marcus Salvius Otho, Roman Emperor (d. 69)

APRIL 26

121 - Birth of Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor (d. 180)

APRIL 30

313 - Roman emperor Licinius unifies the entire Eastern Roman Empire under his rule.

65 - Death of Lucan, Roman poet (b. 39)

MAY 1

305 - Diocletian and Maximian retire from the office of Roman Emperor.

MAY 5

311 - Death of Galerius, Roman Emperor

MAY 22

337 - Death of Constantine the Great, Roman Emperor (b. 272)

MAY 24

15 BCE - Birth of Julius Caesar Germanicus, Roman commander (d. 19)

MAY 27

366 - Death of Procopius, Roman usurper (b. 326)

MAY 29

363 - Roman Emperor Julian defeats the Sassanid army in the Battle of Ctesiphon, under the walls of the Sassanid capital, but is unable to take the city.

-- Nephele

Events for the months of June, July and August.

JUNE 1

193 - Assassination of Marcus Severus Didius Julianus, Roman Emperor (b. 133)

JUNE 2

455 - The Vandals enter Rome, and plunder the city for two weeks.

JUNE 3

350 - Roman usurper Nepotianus, of the Constantinian dynasty, proclaims himself Roman Emperor, entering Rome at the head of a group of gladiators.

JUNE 5

70 - Titus and his Roman legions breach the middle wall of Jerusalem in the Siege of Jerusalem

JUNE 8

68 - The Roman Senate accepts emperor Galba.

218 - Death of Macrinus, Roman Emperor

JUNE 9

68 - Roman Emperor Nero commits suicide, imploring his secretary Epaphroditus to slit his throat to evade a Senate-imposed death by flogging.

62 - Death of Claudia Octavia, wife of Nero (b. 40)

JUNE 22

168 BCE - Battle of Pydna: Romans under Lucius Aemilius Paullus defeat and capture Macedonian King Perseus, ending the Third Macedonian War

79 - Death of Vespasian, Roman Emperor (b. 9)

JUNE 26

363 - Roman Emperor Julian is killed during the retreat from the Sassanid Empire. General Jovian is proclaimed Emperor by the troops on the battlefield.

JUNE 30

350 - Roman usurper Nepotianus, of the Constantinian dynasty, is defeated and killed by troops of the usurper Magnentius, in Rome.

JULY 1

251 - The battle of Abrittus is won by Goths against Romans. Roman Emperors Decius (b. 207) and Herennius Etruscus (b. ca. 227) are killed.

JULY 2

419 - Birth of Valentinian III, Roman Emperor (d. 455)

JULY 3

324 - Battle of Adrianople Constantine I defeats Licinius, who flees to Byzantium.

JULY 9

455 - Roman military commander Avitus is proclaimed emperor of the Western Roman Empire.

JULY 10

48 BCE - Battle of Dyrrhachium, Caesar barely avoids a catastrophic defeat to Pompey in Macedonia.

138 - Death of Hadrian, Roman Emperor (b. 76)

JULY 11

472 - Death of Anthemius, Emperor of the Western Roman Empire

JULY 12

100 BCE - Birth of Julius Caesar, Roman military and political leader (d. 44 BCE) (born July 12 or 13)

JULY 13

100 BCE - Birth of Julius Caesar, Roman military and political leader (d. 44 BCE) (born either July 12 or July 13)

40 AD - Birth of Gnaeus Julius Agricola, Roman Governor of Britain (d. 93 AD)

JULY 18

390 BCE - Roman-Gaulish Wars: Battle of the Allia - A Roman army is defeated by raiding Gauls, leading to the subsequent sacking of Rome.

64 - Great fire of Rome: A fire begins to burn in the merchant area of Rome and soon burns completely out of control while Emperor Nero reportedly plays his lyre and sings while watching the blaze from a safe distance.

JULY 25

306 - Constantine I proclaimed Roman emperor by his troops.

306 - Death of Constantius Chlorus, Roman Emperor (b. 250)

JULY 29

238 - Death of Pupienus, Roman Emperor

238 - Death of Balbinus, Roman Emperor

JULY 31

30 BCE - Battle of Alexandria: Mark Antony achieves a minor victory over Octavian's forces, but most of his army subsequently deserts, leading to his suicide.

AUGUST 1

33 BCE - Octavian (later known as Augustus) enters Alexandria, Egypt, bringing it under the control of the Roman Republic.

10 BCE - Birth of Claudius, Roman Emperor (d. 54)

126 - Birth of Pertinax, Roman Emperor (d. 193)

AUGUST 2

216 BCE - Second Punic War: Battle of Cannae - The Carthaginian army lead by Hannibal defeats a numerically superior Roman army under command of consuls Lucius Aemilius Paullus and Gaius Terentius Varro.

AUGUST 3

8 - Roman Empire general Tiberius defeats Dalmatians on the river Bathinus.

AUGUST 4

70 - The destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem by the Romans. Note: Wikipedia also gives August 11th for this date. In the Jewish calendar, the date is Tisha b'Av (the 9th of the month of Av).

AUGUST 7

317 - Birth of Constantius II, Roman emperor (d. 361)

461 - Assassination of Majorian, Roman Emperor (b. 420)

AUGUST 9

48 BCE - Caesar's civil war: Battle of Pharsalus - Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt.

378 - Gothic War: Battle of Adrianople - A large Roman army led by Emperor Valens is defeated by the Visigoths in present-day Turkey. Valens is killed along with over half of his army.

117 - Death of Trajan, Roman Emperor (b. 53)

AUGUST 11

70 - The Second Temple is destroyed by the Roman army in Jerusalem. Note: Wikipedia also gives August 4th for this date. In the Jewish calendar, the date is Tisha b'Av (the 9th of the month of Av).

355 - Claudius Silvanus, accused of treason, proclaims himself Roman Emperor against Constantius II.

353 - Death of Magnentius, Roman usurper

AUGUST 12

30 BCE - Cleopatra commits suicide after her defeat and Mark Antony's defeat at the battle of Actium.

AUGUST 15

423 - Death of Flavius Honorius, Western Roman Emperor (b. 384)

AUGUST 18

293 BCE - The oldest known Roman temple to Venus was founded, starting the institution of Vinalia Rustica.

353 - Death of Decentius, Roman usurper

472 - Death of Ricimer, Roman general

AUGUST 19

43 BCE - Octavian, later known as Augustus, compels the senate to elect him Consul.

14 - Death of Augustus, Roman Emperor (b. 63 BCE)

AUGUST 22

392 - Arbogast has Eugenius elected Western Roman Emperor.

476 - Odoacer is named Rex Italiae by his troops.

408 - Death of Stilicho, Roman general (b. 359)

AUGUST 23

79 - Mount Vesuvius begins stirring, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.

93 - Death of Gnaeus Julius Agricola, Roman Governor of Britain (b. 40)

AUGUST 24

49 BCE - Julius Caesar's general Gaius Curio is defeated in the Second Battle of the Bagradas River by the Numidians under Attius Varus and King Juba of Numidia. Curio commits suicide to avoid capture.

79 - Mount Vesuvius erupts. The cities of Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Stabiae are buried in volcanic ash.

79 - Death of Pliny the Elder, Roman writer and naturalist (b. 23)

AUGUST 25

383 - Death of Gratian, Roman Emperor

AUGUST 26

55 BCE - Julius Caesar invades Britain.

AUGUST 27

410 - Visigothic sack of Rome ends after three days.

AUGUST 28

475 - The Roman general Orestes forces western Roman Emperor Julius Nepos to flee his capital of Ravenna and appoints his own son Romulus Augustus in his place.

388 - Death of Magnus Maximus, Roman usurper

AUGUST 31

12 - Birth of Gaius Caligula, Roman Emperor (d. 41)

161 - Birth of Commodus, Roman Emperor (d. 192)

-- Nephele

Events for the months of September and October.

SEPTEMBER 2

44 BCE - The first of Cicero's Philippics (oratorical attacks) on Mark Antony. He will make 14 of them over the next several months.

31 BCE - Final war of the Roman Republic: Battle of Actium - Off the western coast of Greece, forces of Octavian defeat troops under Mark Antony and Cleopatra.

421 - Death of Constantius III, Roman Emperor

SEPTEMBER 3

36 BCE - In the battle of Naulochus, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, admiral of Octavian, defeats Sextus Pompeius, son of Pompey, thus ending Pompeian resistance to the Second Triumvirate.

SEPTEMBER 4

476 - Romulus Augustus, last emperor of the Western Roman Empire, is deposed when Odoacer proclaims himself King of Italy.

SEPTEMBER 7

355 - Death of Claudius Silvanus, Roman usurper

SEPTEMBER 9

214 - Birth of Aurelian, Roman Emperor (d. 275)

384 - Birth of Flavius Honorius, Roman Emperor (d. 423)

SEPTEMBER 11

9 - Battle of the Teutoburg Forest ends.

SEPTEMBER 13

509 BCE - The temple of Jupiter on Rome's Capitoline Hill is dedicated on the ides of September. 122 - The building of Hadrian's Wall begins.

81 - Death of Titus, Roman emperor (b. 39)

SEPTEMBER 16

16 - Birth of Drusilla, daughter of Germanicus and Agrippina the Elder (d. 38)

96 - Death of Domitian, Roman Emperor (b. 51)

307 - Murder of Flavius Valerius Severus, deposed Roman Emperor

SEPTEMBER 17

64 - Birth of Julia Flavia, daughter of Roman Emperor Titus; lover of Domitian.

SEPTEMBER 18

96 - Nerva is proclaimed Roman Emperor after Domitian is assassinated.

324 - Constantine the Great decisively defeats Licinius in the Battle of Chrysopolis, establishing Constantine's sole control over the Roman Empire.

53 - Birth of Trajan, Roman Emperor (d. 117)

96 - Death of Domitian, Roman Emperor (b. 51)

SEPTEMBER 19

335 - Dalmatius is raised to the rank of Caesar by his uncle Constantine I.

86 - Birth of Antoninus Pius, Roman Emperor (d. 161)

SEPTEMBER 20

451 - The Battle of Chalons, in North Eastern France. Flavius Aetius' victory over Attila the Hun in a day of combat, considered and believed to be the largest battle in the ancient world.

SEPTEMBER 21

454 - Roman Emperor Valentinian III assassinates Roman general A

Events for the months of November and December.

NOVEMBER 3

39 - Birth of Lucan, Roman poet (d. 65)

361 - Death Constantius II, Roman Emperor (b. 317)

NOVEMBER 6

355 - Roman Emperor Constantius II promotes his cousin Julian to the rank of Caesar, entrusting him with the government of the Prefecture of the Gauls.

NOVEMBER 8

35 - Birth of Nerva, Roman Emperor (d. 98)

NOVEMBER 11

308 - The Congress of Carnuntum: Attempting to keep peace within the Roman Empire, the leaders of the Tetrarchy declare Maxentius and Licinius to be Augusti, while rival contender Constantine I is declared Caesar of Britain and Gaul.

NOVEMBER 16

42 BCE - Birth of Tiberius, Roman emperor (d. 37)

NOVEMBER 17

284 - Diocletian is proclaimed emperor by his soldiers.

9 - Birth of Vespasian, Roman Emperor (d. 79)

375 - Death of Valentinian I, Roman Emperor (b. 321)

NOVEMBER 20

284 - Diocletian is chosen as Roman Emperor.

270 - Birth of Maximinus, Roman Emperor (d. 313)

NOVEMBER 26

43 BCE - The Second Triumvirate alliance of Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus ("Octavian", later "Caesar Augustus"), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and Mark Antony is formed.

NOVEMBER 27

8 BCE - Death of Horace, Roman poet (b. 65 BCE)

DECEMBER 5

63 BCE - Cicero reads the last of his Catiline Orations.

DECEMBER 7

43 BCE - Death of Cicero, Roman politician and author (b. 106 BCE)

DECEMBER 8

65 BCE - Birth of Horace, Roman poet (d. 8 BCE)

DECEMBER 15

37 - Birth of Nero, Roman Emperor of the Julio-Claudian dynasty (d. 68)

DECEMBER 18

218 BCE - Second Punic War: Battle of the Trebia - Hannibal's Carthaginian forces defeat those of the Roman Republic.

DECEMBER 19

324 - Licinius abdicates his position as Roman Emperor.

DECEMBER 20

69 - Vespasian, a former general under Nero, enters Rome to claim the title of emperor.

DECEMBER 21

69 - Year of the four emperors: Following Galba, Otho and Vitellius, Vespasian becomes the fourth Emperor of Rome within a year.

DECEMBER 24

3 BCE - Birth of Galba, Roman Emperor (d. 69)

DECEMBER 25

274 - Roman Emperor Aurelian dedicates a temple to Sol Invictus on the supposed day of the winter solstice and day of rebirth of the Sun.

DECEMBER 30

39 - Birth of Titus, Roman emperor (d. 81)

DECEMBER 31

192 - Death of Commodus, Roman Emperor (b. 161)

-- Nephele

I noticed that "Agustus" now is on the calendar within the next 7 days. However a slightly more descriptive name would maybe be useful?

Something like: "Title of Augustus bestowed upon Octavian"?

Would be useful in general.