UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Name Drusus, of the Claudii

spittle

wasn't the name 'Drusus' used only by the Claudians?

I would imagine Tiberius named his son after his brother. Or am I applying modern reasons to ancient events?

I would imagine Tiberius named his son after his brother. Or am I applying modern reasons to ancient events?

He did. Also, the son of Drusus Major may have been named after his brother the emperor. The records are not entirely clear but he was named either Tiberius Claudius Nero (after Tiberius the emperor) or the conventional Nero Claudius Drusus after his father. Later he was awarded the agnomen he is commonly known by - Germanicus. It was again changed to Germanicus Julius Caesar after Tiberius adopted him.

In any case, the brothers (Tiberius and Drusus the Elder) somewhat broke from typical naming conventions in doing so, though such conventions were on the wane by this period anyway. Nephele may have more insight into this particular issue though.

In any case, the brothers (Tiberius and Drusus the Elder) somewhat broke from typical naming conventions in doing so, though such conventions were on the wane by this period anyway. Nephele may have more insight into this particular issue though.

Right you are, PP. It was at the end of the Republic and heading into the period of the Principate that the old Roman naming conventions were changing (for women as well as for men), with the changes particularly seen in the imperial family. Some cognomina (such as Drusus and Nero of the Claudii) were being used as praenomina. In fact, an old cognomen of the Cornelii -- Cossus -- also found its way into use as a praenomen, as I mentioned in my posting earlier today, Surnames of the Cornelii.

-- Nephele

'...Cognomina used as praenomen...'.

Could this be compared to the American habit of using surnames as first names?

'...Cognomina used as praenomen...'.

Could this be compared to the American habit of using surnames as first names?

Good observation, spittle. Yes, I believe so. In modern Western society, surnames used as first names are often taken from the mother's side of the family, to perpetuate the mother's maiden name (which she loses upon marriage). An example of this from popular comic book fiction can be found in Superman's name -- his adoptive Earth parents having named him "Clark Kent," with "Clark" having been the maiden name of his adoptive mother (Martha Clark).

Even though Roman women didn't change their names after marriage, their children would traditionally bear the name of the father. The cognomen "Drusus" came from Livia's side of the family, so it was perpetuated, after Livia's marriage, in her descendants as both cognomen and signum (the name by which an individual was generally called).

-- Nephele

The Spanish speaking cultures actually name their children with both.

If your Mother is Maria Garcia and your father is Santiago Jimenez then you are Pedro Garcia Jimenez.

So the next time you see The Magnificient Seven and Ul Brinner enquires of the mexican peasants "Why do you have such long names?" You'll be able to amaze any teenagers in the household by saying "Actually, I know why....".