UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ludovicus

Earthquakes that have hit Rome

A number of us have an interest in the fate of the built structures in Rome after the decline of the empire in the West. Here's a short list of earthquake damage from

the very interesting website on the Colosseum:

http://www.the-colosseum.net/history/earthquake.htm

For more on "everything about the Colosseum," go here in either English or Italian:

http://www.the-colosseum.net/

Many historians keep rambling on about how terrible the sack of 410 was for the city (conveniently ignoring the ones in 455 and 472), but I think fifth-century Rome took a much heavier beating from mother nature. It's not just the earthquakes (and I believe there were even more than those listed here), but also devastating floods.

Many historians keep rambling on about how terrible the sack of 410 was for the city (conveniently ignoring the ones in 455 and 472), but I think fifth-century Rome took a much heavier beating from mother nature. It's not just the earthquakes (and I believe there were even more than those listed here), but also devastating floods.

Not to forget the very serious depopulation after the destruction of the aqueducts in 537 AD.

Within the last ten years, Archaeology Magazine did a feature article on the Forum of Trajan. Seems that Trajan's Forum survived intact into the 800's only to have one of that century's earthquakes take it down. Now there's a marker for the end of antiquity!

Edited by Ludovicus

Not to forget the very serious depopulation after the destruction of the aqueducts in 537 AD.

Not sure that was the direct result of the destruction of the aqueducts. There were plenty of wells in the city, and (some of) the aqueducts were very likely restored after the war. But you're basically right, it didn't help. :)