UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Terry Pratchett

I'm a Pratchett fan. He's a really fun read. How about you guys?

I'm a Pratchett fan. He's a really fun read. How about you guys?

I suppose you could tell by my name :)

Such a shame about his condition though, nobody deserves to go out like that.

Maladict; I chuckle at the thought of that character. Condition? What's the skinny?

Maladict; I chuckle at the thought of that character. Condition? What's the skinny?

Early onset Alzheimer's.

Let's hope he doesn't lose the plot too soon.

Terry has been half jokingly complaining of losing the plot for years since I first met him and it hasn't really slowed his writing down that much, so there is hope for plenty more years of output from him.

As to his condition techniques for treating it or at least slowing it's effects down a bit have improved in recent years so again there is a similar chance for continuing improvements in treatment methods for the future.

I'll sign in to this thread as another Pratchett fan. It is a great shame about his condition, I can't bear to think about him ending up like poor old Iris Murdoch. But let's not be gloomy - Terry wouldn't want us to be.

Favourite characters, guys? I love the Patrician, Death (probably my all time favourite), Granny Weatherwax, and of course, Old Rincewind. Gorgeous stuff, the lot of it!

Edited by The Augusta

Favourite characters, guys? I love the Patrician, Death (probably my all time favourite), Granny Weatherwax, and of course, Old Rincewind. Gorgeous stuff, the lot of it!

Sam Vimes - a bit like me, slow but steady and will get there in the end!!

Pratchett is brilliant!! Wonderful, underestimated author...

His health is so far not stopping him working. In an interview just a few days ago he stated there are many novels in him yet and writing continues. He does not see an immediate or close to hand slow down. So there has to be something in that...

Fav chars? Well, Death is easily the best of the bunch followed by Rincewind, the Luggage and Nanny Ogg!!! There are others too but these must be the main ones who at least appear more regularly.... ish!!!

All of the characters of the Watch, particularly Vimes and Carrot. The Patrician and The Death of Rats. Rincewind and The Librarian. There are so many.

Hail, all you Pratchett fans! A twisted sense of humour is important!

It is very sad to hear about his condition. I'm sure that we are right in assuming that the man himself would not want us to dwell on it.