UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

House of Augustus Opened to the Public

"On Sunday following decades of painstaking restoration, the frescoes in vivid shades of blue, red and ochre went on public show for the first time since they were painted in about 30BC."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7286305.stm

I don't understand how the wall paintings in August's palace could have survived intact. Didn't other emperors, updating the decor, use the same palace over and over again? How could these 30BC murals have survived other occupations/remodelings of the house. They say that the Palatine continued as a place of residence for barbarians and Byzantines long after 476AD. Can anyone venture a guess as to how these wall decorations could have survived until now?

Edited by Ludovicus

I don't understand how the wall paintings in August's palace could have survived intact. Didn't other emperors, updating the decor, use the same palace over and over again? How could these 30BC murals have survived other occupations/remodelings of the house. They say that the Palatine continued as a place of residence for barbarians and Byzantines long after 476AD. Can anyone venture a guess as to how these wall decorations could have survived until now?

There are many factors probably...One would be conditions, climate, etc. Also there is the standing of the personality himself. Augustus was revered, other emperors weren't. I seem to remember reading someplace that ancient empire wide tourists would make a pilgrimage to Augustus' place of birth.

In a way this makes me sad, as I used to go to the forums every day, to read or just to have a walk with friends :P untill last week a combined ticked for Palatine+Colosseum was 10 euros, whereas now it is 11 (+forums), which means entrance to the forum is one euro. I think they could have taken into consideration the roman citizens by raising the price of the Palatine+Colosseum ticket to 11 euros while keeping the forums open, or by introducing a separate 1 euro ticket for the forums. Besides, I am really curious to see how the money will be spent in the next few months. S.P.Q.R., I'm watching you!

I thought the free entrance to the forum was one of the last things sacred in Rome...

Like you, I used to go there all the time as well, and was planning to do so again when I return to Rome in a few weeks. :(

There are many factors probably...One would be conditions, climate, etc. Also there is the standing of the personality himself. Augustus was revered, other emperors weren't. I seem to remember reading someplace that ancient empire wide tourists would make a pilgrimage to Augustus' place of birth.

Clodius,

What you say makes perfect sense. Here in the US, we've kept Washington's home just the way it was during his presidency. The Romans would have done likewise with Augustus's palace. Thanks!

I thought the free entrance to the forum was one of the last things sacred in Rome...

Like you, I used to go there all the time as well, and was planning to do so again when I return to Rome in a few weeks. :(

I am not against the idea of financing the preservation of the area with the entrance fees, I also think the all-inclusive ticket is very convenient for tourists who have never been to Rome before, but it should be more of an option rather than an imposition. People should be free to choose between a single or all inclusive ticket. There is (understandably) an endless queue to enter the Colosseum, so why should one queue for hours and pay an all inclusive ticket just to have a walk in the forums? I really can't understand.