UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome: Engineering an Empire

Ursus

Great job, Ursus. This was a series that I really wanted to watch - but alas, my family lost their free trial of the History Channel a week before it was aired, so I might just go ahead and buy the DVD.

It's one of the better things to come out of the History Channel. Lately the History Channel just plain sucks. One is more apt to see a documentary on UFOs than something on Ancient Rome.

Actually, my TiVo is set to auto-record anything to do with Rome, and I manage to get at least one documentary a day. Mind you, 4 times out of 5, it's "Secrets of the Colosseum" or "What Did the Romans Do for Us?". Still.

I've really enjoyed the entire "Engineering An Empire" series...really well done, and Peter Weller comes off as he is: an academian who can talk to the people and still not water down the information. Perhaps credit should go to the writers, too. Regardless, all of them are recommended, at least by me.

I agree. Engineering an Empire is great. I've got practically the whole series saved on one of my Tivos upstairs. It's one of those shows where if I'm just flipping through the channels and I come across it ... that's it, I'm in for the duration.

Also agree on Peter Weller. Reminds me of my Ancient Civilizations professor who for the last class before final exams would take us out to a local pub for an afternoon of "Beer and Byzantium" :-)