UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Do you play a sport?

PP, Klingan,

Surely Mats Sundin is the greatest Swedish player in the NHL at the moment?

Actually, the decline of the local team here have gone so far that I have totally lost my interest in hockey... Oh Red hawks what did happen?

Aka I don't know :P

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I come from a country where a team sport (Rugby) is practically the national religion.

What a final that was in 2003! :P

Edited by Northern Neil

Sundin is a damn good player but his team has been so bad the last few seasons, it's difficult to judge his current skill level fairly. In any case Nick Lidstrom, in my opinion, is not only the best Swede, but the best defenseman and among the best players in the league overall, but I am biased I suppose. I understand that he's not all that popular back in Sweden... something to do with a lack of international tournament success I guess. Peter Forsberg was probably the best player in the league overall a few years back, but injuries and age caught up with him. Zetterberg is rising fast.

I come from a country where a team sport (Rugby) is practically the national religion.

What a final that was in 2003! :P

Hah! Northern Neil, you must be English. I always tip my hat to that English World Cup winning team, Clive Woodward played to his strengths and had a wonderful captain in Martin Johnson. I must say though, that I am one of about two Kiwis who feel that way, though! The other one is Martin Johnson's wife!

Other than that, does competitive drinking count?

If it's at the after match function and you're competing against opponents that just beat you out on the pitch, then hell yeah!

Other than that, does competitive drinking count?

If it's at the after match function and you're competing against opponents that just beat you out on the pitch, then hell yeah!

Do not ever forget the hard-core (American) football tailgates...hours of pre-game drinking (and eating...and throwing a football around the parking lot), followed by more libations inside the stadium...followed by...well, you get the picture. The best do this 8 times over the 4-month season.

Do not ever forget the hard-core (American) football tailgates...hours of pre-game drinking (and eating...and throwing a football around the parking lot), followed by more libations inside the stadium...followed by...well, you get the picture. The best do this 8 times over the 4-month season.

Sounds a whole lot like car boot (that's the trunk, for you Americans) parties that we have here before and after big Rugby games at Eden Park (sometimes, even without the Rugby match!). Over the past few years, the stadia in our country have not permitted fans to bring their own piss into the stadia (they make us drink watered down sponsor's product served in plastic thimbles) so the pre match/after match boot party has become an important and revered institution.

Yep, same thing here. Most stadiums go so far as to not let you bring in water bottles...or at least they have to be brand-new (aka never opened). The worst part is that for crap beer they charge huge prices; the last time I went to a (baseball) game, it was $6 for a cup (12 oz usually) of Budweiser/Coors (which here is normally $6 for a case!), or $8 for a 'premium' beer (Samuel Adams, etc.). As a result, most get blitzed out in the parking lot, and either shell out the price for overpriced swill, or sober up before the next round!

BTW: at both Giants and A's games (baseball again), the price is almost the same for the 'regular' and 'premium' beers...unbelievable.

My mates and I refuse to buy the stuff in the grounds. The powers that be have shot themselves in the foot, really. When we could drink our own beers in the grounds, we'd be sensible about it. Now, we get hammered and that often leads to some pretty unsavoury behaviour. That's what they get for taking our tradition off us!

Sundin is a damn good player but his team has been so bad the last few seasons, it's difficult to judge his current skill level fairly. In any case Nick Lidstrom, in my opinion, is not only the best Swede, but the best defenseman and among the best players in the league overall, but I am biased I suppose. I understand that he's not all that popular back in Sweden... something to do with a lack of international tournament success I guess. Peter Forsberg was probably the best player in the league overall a few years back, but injuries and age caught up with him. Zetterberg is rising fast.

I suppose I'm a bit biased too, I've got family in Toronto so I've always been a big Leafs fan but your right they have been terrible for the past couple of seasons, Mats Sundin has been one of the few shining lights for us this season, it's looking like he's going to get his best points tally for nearly 10 years, so I think that goes a long way to showing how well he's been playing this season considering how crap the Leafs have been. We've got a couple of good young players coming through like Matt Stajan and Kyle Wellwood how will hopefully be able to fill the big swede's skates when he retires. Also Nik Antropov finally seems to be showing the kind of form that everyone 's been predicting of him since he first broke into the leafs team.

I agree, Zetterberg been quality this year.

Are there Canadian teams in the NHL? Forgive me my ignorance. I love Ice Hockey; it's brutal, but I don't know much about it.

Are there Canadian teams in the NHL? Forgive me my ignorance. I love Ice Hockey; it's brutal, but I don't know much about it.

Oh yes: Vancouver Cannucks, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Ottowa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Cannediens.

Did any of you guys ever play/still play ice hockey?

Did any of you guys ever play/still play ice hockey?

Never learned to skate. Used to play "street hockey" just about every day when I was a kid.