UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Suggested reading list?

Jauchart

I am new to the study of Rome; I've read Peter Heather and Bryan Ward Perkins' new books and am now working my way through AHM Jones. All focus primarily on the late Empire. Can anyone suggest a good, concise reading list of the most authoritative studies of the Republic and early Empire? Other key studies on the late Empire?

Thanks

(we really need to make the libri section more visible)

The use of Latin probably doesn't help any.. but I do prefer the atmosphere.

The use of Latin was indeed troublesome to be when I came here first. Maybe a sticky concerning where to find what would help?

Thank you. And as a follow-up, can you suggest anything that compares and contrasts the composition of the Republican army (when peasants were expected to report with their own arms) with that of the late Empire (many/mostly barbarians?).

Some that looks specifically at the early/mid-Republican army in its social context would be adequate, as I am somewhat familiar with the later period.

Thanks again.

Thank you. And as a follow-up, can you suggest anything that compares and contrasts the composition of the Republican army (when peasants were expected to report with their own arms) with that of the late Empire (many/mostly barbarians?).

Some that looks specifically at the early/mid-Republican army in its social context would be adequate, as I am somewhat familiar with the later period.

Thanks again.

Goldworthy's Complete Roman Army is easily among the best single volume overviews.

Can anyone suggest a good, concise reading list of the most authoritative studies of the Republic...?

Rosenstein & Morstein-Marx (Eds.). A Companion to the Roman Republic.

Gary Forsythe. A Critical History of Early Rome.

A E Astin. Scipio Aemelianus.

Nathan Rosenstein. Rome at War.

****Erich Gruen. The Last Generation of the Roman Republic.

Meier. Caesar.

**** If you read only one book on the late republic, read this.

I am new to the study of Rome; I've read Peter Heather and Bryan Ward Perkins' new books and am now working my way through AHM Jones. All focus primarily on the late Empire. Can anyone suggest a good, concise reading list of the most authoritative studies of the Republic and early Empire? Other key studies on the late Empire?

Thanks

Will Durant's CAESAR AND CHRIST: A History of Roman Civilization and of Christianity from Their Beginnings to A.D. 325 (Story of Civilization, No 3) "A Synthetic History"

Republic and Empire 549 pgs; Christ 123 pgs; Bibliography/Notes/Index 79 pgs; 751 total