UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Senators, Equestrians, UNRV members

Ursus

I'd go the cider any day/night/morning of the week, but perhaps not with black pudding. Black pudding goes with beer. Then again, in my estimation, corn flakes go with beer!

I'm fond of a brand of cider called Longbow. The mouth waters just thinking about it.

There's a specialty British foods shop here that makes a mean black pud, and it practically walks out the door on it's own, it's so popular.

It helps when eating black pudding if you don't look at it too much or think too hard about how it's made, I reckon.

Edited by cornelius_sulla

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It helps when eating black pudding if you don't look at it too much or think too hard about how it's made, I reckon.

Yep, that's pretty much what kills it for me. Then again, one can't be an adventurous eater if one thinks too much about the ingredients!

Yep, that's pretty much what kills it for me. Then again, one can't be an adventurous eater if one thinks too much about the ingredients!

Last year I worked in Samoa for a month. Whilst gaming on my laptop there during some downtime, I was handed a dish by one of my fellow workers that looked and tasted great. Without much thought to what it was and fixated as I was by my computer, I munched away merrily. Then my workmate, devilish grin on his handsome polynesian features, gave me some information that I wished, at the time, he'd kept to himself.

The meat ingredient was rat. My workmate, devilish smile still evident, handed me a bucket, just in case.

I was shocked for a bit, but then I thought: I've eaten opossum, goat, and probably cat from my local chinese takeout shop (who are notorious when it comes to turning a buck). My people consider the live larvae of a large land beetle as a delicacy. And before anyone told me what was in it, naturally, I thought it was chicken. Is rat really such a big deal?

Once I put the ingredients out of my mind and simply ate the dish and judged it by merit of it's taste, I was fine with it. Not to mention I didn't want to give my 'friend' the satisfaction of watching me hurl.

Still, if given a choice, I'd take Black Pudding over a Rat Chop Suey as a computer-ing snack any day.

Yes, I cannot stomach worcestershire sauce if I think about the ingredients too much. Also, it resemblance to garum/liquamen in quite off putting.

How about this? its 08.49, and I am drinking a bottle of cider whilst browsing this forum and eating black puddings!

Perhaps, for the Americans, it would be helpful to explain that Cider isn't some kind of fruit juice...

I believe that rather than "Hard Cider" as the Wikipedia reference claims the more common name for cider in the US is "Apple Jack" or at least it was a few years back when I last visited with "cider" instead being used in some US states to refer to apple juice! It does tend to make for interesting experiences for teetotal visitors from the mid-West who may innocently order cider in British pubs.

Yes, I cannot stomach worcestershire sauce if I think about the ingredients too much. Also, it resemblance to garum/liquamen in quite off putting.

Actually, I quite love worcestershire sauce and the flavor that it imparts on food. And I do know how it's made! (I even made my own once...it came out fine, but it was a pain in the arse to get all the ingredients.)

Actually, I quite love worcestershire sauce and the flavor that it imparts on food. And I do know how it's made! (I even made my own once...it came out fine, but it was a pain in the arse to get all the ingredients.)

I'm with you on this one Doc, a splash of worcestershire sauce can turn an average meal into a great meal.

I'm with you on this one Doc, a splash of worcestershire sauce can turn an average meal into a great meal.

What are some creative (and appetizing!) uses to which you put worcestershire?

A favorite of mine for a quick snack is......a bowl of Heinz tomato soup with cheddar cheese grated into until it melts than lashings of Worcestershire sauce to finish it off.

It takes about 5 mins to prepare and is absolutely delicious.

A favorite of mine for a quick snack is......a bowl of Heinz tomato soup with cheddar cheese grated into until it melts than lashings of Worcestershire sauce to finish it off.

It takes about 5 mins to prepare and is absolutely delicious.

Yes, in soups, broths and - don't judge me for this - pot noodles are the only foodstuffs in which I fully appreciate the source. Oh, and let us not forget Worcester Sauce Wheat Crunchies...

Yes, in soups, broths and - don't judge me for this - pot noodles are the only foodstuffs in which I fully appreciate the source. Oh, and let us not forget Worcester Sauce Wheat Crunchies...

I love Worcestershire sauce on instant Ramen noodles. Actually, I love Worcestershire sauce on a lot of stuff. Actually, I can drink Worcestershire sauce by the teaspoon all on its own. I think I may have a Worcestershire sauce problem!

Also, it resemblance to garum/liquamen in quite off putting.

It never before occurred to me that the stuff resembles garum! Thanks for that revelation!

-- Nephele

All this talk of Worcestershire sauce got me craving some so I've just had baked beans on toast with guess what........... That's right lots of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce splashed all over.. MMMMmmmmm. :lol:

Oh and Wot, Seabrook Worcester sauce crisps are by far the best!!

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

On ramen! I've never thought of that! There's a new idea!

I always put it in my burgers, before I put them on the fire--just a couple of dashes per burger. Salt and pepper, and that's it. Often I put it in my marinade for skirt steak or flank steak; on the tougher cuts, it just seems to add flavor where it's needed. Oh, when I do oven steak fries, I mix ketchup and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce as my dip...quite tasty.

I've used it also in Caesar salad dressing, when I didn't have anchovy. A little goes a long way!

On ramen! I've never thought of that! There's a new idea!

I always put it in my burgers, before I put them on the fire--just a couple of dashes per burger. Salt and pepper, and that's it. Often I put it in my marinade for skirt steak or flank steak; on the tougher cuts, it just seems to add flavor where it's needed. Oh, when I do oven steak fries, I mix ketchup and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce as my dip...quite tasty.

I've used it also in Caesar salad dressing, when I didn't have anchovy. A little goes a long way!

Oooo, yah. I've got the craving now. Ever try Worcestershire sauce on hard boiled eggs? Instead of sprinkling salt and pepper on the hard boiled egg, dash on the sauce, take a bite, dash on the sauce, take a bite...

Um... Excuse me. I have to go boil some water now.

-- Nephele