UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Stanley Cup 2008

It's that time of year again and the play offs are under way but who do you thinks going to take the cup this year?

My moneys on the Penguins, with Malkin and Crosby both playing well I think they're gonna be hard to beat. But the Redwings have had a great season too, with Datsyuk, Zetterburg and Lidstom they'll push them all the way.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHARKS! SHARKS! SHARKS! SHARKS! SHARKS! Mark my words, we are gonna take the cup this year! It's our year! Nabby's unbeatable...he stands on his head every night. Joe and Paddy are gonna run their lines to the goal, and Campbell and Mitchell will check the baddies to the ice.

GO SHARKS!!!

I'm guessing it's a sport your discussing but I have no idea which one.

Do please tell.

You North Americans love our girls sports,

Hockey is a sport played by upper middle class girls at private schools. If they were upper class they'd be playing laCross.

Basketball is a variation on the girls sport 'Netball'.

Baseball is a male version of 'Rounders'. Also a girls sport.

American football is alot like Rugby, a very masculine sport. But Brit rugby players do not ware helmets and padding over half their bodies. They simply take the pain.

Hockey is a sport played by upper middle class girls at private schools. If they were upper class they'd be playing laCross.

Basketball is a variation on the girls sport 'Netball'.

Baseball is a male version of 'Rounders'. Also a girls sport.

Umm ok. Don't most people around the world love a game called football where grown men fall down clutching their shins when a soft breeze blows by?

By the by, considering that the NHL is something like 35% Europeans, chances are there are a few men playing the game as well... especially from Russia, the Czech Republic, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia, etc. There's even a few German, Austrian and Swiss players. I'd even suspect that it may be second in popularity to the game we call succer in some places (Sweden and Finland perhaps... maybe Russia?).

American football is alot like Rugby, a very masculine sport. But Brit rugby players do not ware helmets and padding over half their bodies. They simply take the pain.

American football is a game of extreme collisions and corresponding extreme injuries. Pads may protect against some soft tissue bruises and such... rather meaningless really... but do little to prevent breaks, fractures, joint injuries, muscle/tendon tears, etc. Concussions are also a serious issue due to the use of the helmet as a weapon and the false sense of security that it provides some players. Frankly, the two are completely different games with only few surface view similarities.

GO THE PENGUINS!

I realise you may be taking the piss. I love to take the mickey out of Americans and their excessive padding too. But seriously, I've had a crack at both Rugby and American Football, and I can tell you that even with pads for Africa, the hits still hurt like buggery. Because of all the pads and the perceived protection they afford you get away with a whole lot more brutality than you do in Rugby (leading with the head in tackles, flying body checks, hits that flip you twice through the air!).

The big guys also tend to be a lot bigger any bulkier than in Rugby. I was glad that I was in the offensive team.

Even though I've played Gridiron, I still don't understand it!

Field Hockey is nothing like Ice Hockey...for one, the skates are more dangerous :lol:

I have my fingers crossed for an Original Six matchup... preferably Detroit and Montreal.

Ok, IF my Sharks don't make it, this is the match-up I'd like to see as an alternative. There is something special about an Original Six match-up, you're right. And it's been a while since the Habs have been that good, right? (I admit, I've only been watching hockey actively for about 6 years...at all for about 10.)

I have my fingers crossed for an Original Six matchup... preferably Detroit and Montreal.

Ok, IF my Sharks don't make it, this is the match-up I'd like to see as an alternative. There is something special about an Original Six match-up, you're right. And it's been a while since the Habs have been that good, right? (I admit, I've only been watching hockey actively for about 6 years...at all for about 10.)

Well, I'm clearly partial towards the Red Wings, but the two styles could be fun to watch... Montreal is quite explosive this year and Detroit is actually far grittier than most national commentators give them credit for.

The Habs last won the cup in '93 and yes, they've struggled a bit since then. It's nice to see one of the the sports great traditional powerhouses back to a high profile position. (for those don't know the Canadiens are called the Habs because the original settlers of French Canada were referred to as Les Habitants)

I grew up a NY Islanders fan and was actually at the game in 1980 when they won the first of their four consecutive Stanley Cups. They beat the Flyers 5-4 in OT. We were sitting 4 rows from the ice, directly parallel to the goal Bobby Nystrom scored in to win the Cup. It was one of the greatest moments of my life. Our seats were right next to the runway where the Islanders came in and out of their locker room and I reached and touched the cup when they brought it by.

30-126-302-308-401540.jpg

Just like with baseball in 1994 though, I stopped following hockey when they canceled the 2004-05 season.

Edited by G-Manicus

Our seats were right next to the runway where the Islanders came in and out of their locker room and I reached and touched the cup when they brought it by.

I don't care what sport you follow, as a fan to be able to touch 'the trophy' after your team has won it...wow...what an amazing experience. That rocks!

PS--Don't mention last night's performance...3 goals in the first 3:30, and then blubbery afterwards. Yeah yeah yeah, the Flames got a kick up their arse and started to play defense, but it just seemed like the Sharks used up most of their energy in that first 3:30. I was not happy last night...it threatened to ruin a good weekend. *pout*

I was taking the piss!

I was surprised to learn, from the Lithuanians and Latvians I have worked with, how popular Basketball is over there. It's also very popular in The Phillipines, wierd considering the average size of the locals!

Baseball (which I find equally dull as cricket) is loved all over Latin America and the far East. It is, however, more fun to play than cricket, if my schooldays are remembered correctly.

Ice Hockey is vastly removed from the 'jolly hockeysticks' chinless inbreeds of St Sabastians School for Girls with Rich daddies....

We Europeans actually find the North American style to be too aggressive. A rare compliment when considering the majority of European Ice Hockey pro's are the descendents of Vikings.

Our variety is like of society. Mature and civilised.....But that's another discussion.

If they were North American (and real), my money would be on the terrifying schoolgirls of Ronald Searle's enduring St.Trinian's cartoons.

TriniansSports.jpg

-- Nephele