UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Stanley Cup 2008

I have my fingers crossed for an Original Six matchup... preferably Detroit and Montreal.

Ok, IF my Sharks don't make it, this is the match-up I'd like to see as an alternative. There is something special about an Original Six match-up, you're right. And it's been a while since the Habs have been that good, right? (I admit, I've only been watching hockey actively for about 6 years...at all for about 10.)

Well Doc, your Sharks did make it, but only just by the skin of their teeth, the Flame pushed them all the way.

Eastern Conference Semi's

Canadiens V Flyers .............Canadiens to go through

Penguins V Rangers............. Penguins

Western Conference Semi's

Red Wings V Avalanche..........Red Wings

Sharks V Stars....................Sharks

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Doc, your Sharks did make it, but only just by the skin of their teeth, the Flame pushed them all the way.

Don't even get me started. Game 6 was a [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted]-fest. I guess game 7 made up for it, but seriously, it's like they need a major cluster of dynomite up their arses just to get motivated. This had better change, and toot-sweet.

Eastern Conference Semi's

Canadiens V Flyers .............Canadiens to go through

Penguins V Rangers............. Penguins

The Canadiens *should* go through, you're right, but I think the Flyers will make it tight. Pens...I really hope so. I so want them to do well. Mario has a soft-spot in my heart, even if he's not on the ice anymore.

Western Conference Semi's

Red Wings V Avalanche..........Red Wings

Sharks V Stars....................Sharks

Avs don't have a chance, I don't think. I really believe the Sharks will do better this round, but Lord knows what'll happen.

I hope you're right, but I do think this could rekindle a great rivalry that had pretty much died out.

That would be great...like I hope that the Habs/Bruins series lit a fire under that one. I know several Bruins fans who gave up, until this series. Hopefully it'll be reinvigorated in future.

• 2 weeks later...

So, just to update...

Detroit--in. Yikes, did the Avs even show up? Honestly, they're prolly gonna win the cup this year (well, they're now my pick).

Flyers--in. Whoda thunk it...they beat Montreal in 5? Admittedly I don't see the Eastern Conference teams that often, but still, I thought the Habs were stronger than that.

Penguins--in. I gotta say, I'm happy with this. I already mentioned how the Pens are just cool...what Mario Lemieux has done to keep that team in that town...it's amazing.

Right now the Sharks are barely hanging on...down 3 games to 2 to Dallas (*bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*), but are currently losing 1-0 going into the 3rd period. If you see a deep, indigo blue streak over the Bay Area, that'll be me...and it'll be directed to the HP Pavillion (aka the Shark Tank).

BTW: 1) The Sharkies just tied things up (yay!), and 2) I love Ray Ratto of the SF Chronicle.

Edited by docoflove1974

Well just to update a bit further........

Oh dear Oh dear Doc, you must be sick as a parrot!

To go out like that, 2-1 in quadruple overtime!!!.

Well I got 2 out of 4 for my predictions for the conference finals, as I think did everyone else. Who'd have thought that Montreal would've got turned over so cheaply and the Stars V Sharks game was always going to be a close one to call.

So here it is...

Eastern Conference final

Flyers V Penguins.................................. Penguins

Western Conference final

Red Wings V Stars.................................Red Wings

Well, to be fair, the Sharks failed to show up for a couple of those games. I suspect there's gonna be some housecleaning at the Tank.

Sick as a parrot...close. Then again, I supposed Stars fans would have been, too, if they had lost. It was going to take either a mistake or a fluke to win that game, and so it happened. How the players had the energy to stand on their skates in the first place, yikes.

Right now, I see Detroit v. Pittsburgh...odds would say that the Red Wings would take it, but it should be a good match.

Please, Detroit...beat the snot out of the *bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* Stars!

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Red Wings have returned to the finals for the first time in 6 years to meet the upstart Penguins. Should be one helluva series. I'm not sure who had the tougher road to get there... neither seemed all that incredible (though Dallas is a far better team than any faced by Pittsburgh), but both teams should be facing their toughest opponent yet.

If they were North American (and real), my money would be on the terrifying schoolgirls of Ronald Searle's enduring St.Trinian's cartoons.

TriniansSports.jpg

-- Nephele

There were no takers on that bet. Probably with good reason as St Trinian were renowned on film as well as in print for treating any and all sports as a full contact combat activity. Actually from the little that I have seen of ice hockey they probably would make even the hardest tackling team in the NHL look positively tame ;)

I'm going to disagree with you Doc, I'm going to stick with my original prediction and go with the penguins. It's going to be a tough series and I reckon it could even go to the final game.

• 2 weeks later...
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

While it may have started slow, the Penguins made it a hell of a series.

Were you "deja vu'inig all over again" at the end when the Pens came THIS close to forcing OT?

(Congrats)

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

While it may have started slow, the Penguins made it a hell of a series.

Were you "deja vu'inig all over again" at the end when the Pens came THIS close to forcing OT?

(Congrats)

Hell yes, especially that puck that slid so dangerously in front of the goal line literally at the last second.

The wings truly dominated the bulk of the play throughout the series despite what the broadcasters might have wanted. Fleury was remarkable in long stretches and was easily the Penguins best player notwithstanding the NBC/Versus/CBC love affair with Crosby. At least that will be over for a few months.