UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

AT&T UVerse Vs. Comcast???

I currently have the Comcast "Triple-Play" package which includes Cable TV, VOIP Phone and Internet.

My TV package is digital cable (no movie channels, since I just canceled HBO) with High Definition and a 2 channel record Motorola DVR (which also struggles to record in HD) with 80 GB. The digital package includes some 100+ channels, 30ish HD channels and some 50 music channels. So somewhere around 200 channels in total.

Internet is 6 Mbps/384 Kbps connection.

I'm paying roughly $170 per month.

AT&T UVerse is new to the area and is also offering all three packages. While VOIP phone and internet service is roughly the same service, the television package includes 320+ channels (including all the movie packages) and a more advanced DVR with 4 tuner service (rather than dual with Comcast) and 120 GB space.

The UVerse service will be about $150 per month, plus there is apparently some promotion where they will give me a $250 cash rebate to get connected. So I save $20 per month plus the $250 bonus.

Seems like a no-brainer right? Well, I've had comcast for 12 years and my primary comcast email is the one I use for everything from bill pay notification to personal stuff. There's alot of stuff that runs through that email. I don't mind switching it, but if the UVerse service sucked, I would be terribly disappointed after giving up my comcast mail. (and no, there is no way to keep the Comcast mail by paying some nominal fee.. I must pay the $46 per month for the cable service... actually I think it's $56 if I don't have Comcast TV).

Anyway, I've been looking around but can't find much info on the AT&T service. I hate them, much like all the bureaucratic crap utility companies, and it's not like Comcast is some great icon of customer service. I'm just curious if anyone has any personal experience or knows anything about UVerse? I have to make a decision within a couple of days.

Sorry, PP .... don't know much about that kind of stuff.

Sorry, PP .... don't know much about that kind of stuff.

Alas, I was hoping you would.

In any case, I've done some more research... the Uverse internet connection is not the same speed as comcast... it's only 1.5 mbps vs. the 6 that Comcast offers. Oh the dilemma :)

I'm paying roughly $170 per month.

I'm paying $130 per month for a package which includes digital cable TV, telephone, and Internet. I don't get DVR but I don't record a lot of stuff off the teevee anyway, so I don't care about that.

One extra feature I get with my service is free movie tickets on Tuesdays, and half-price movie tickets for any other day of the week (only applies to Clearview Cinemas, but they get all the movies anyway).

I don't know if my area's Cablevision is better than U-verse, but I'm really pleased with it. Before this package, I was paying a ridiculous amount in telephone bills to Verizon (who absolutely suck goatass). Not to mention the fact that I don't know how much of my private records were turned over to the government by Verizon. (see linked Verizon article under "Controversies").

-- Nephele

I can't help you decide, but for unlimited internet acces and a cable telephone service with 500 free minutes in the network and 100 minutes in other networks I pay 9 Euro a month + VAT (I never use all of them). With some 50 tv channels would be 15 Euro + Vat, but I don't watch TV.

The prices you listed are shocking :)

I can't help you decide, but for unlimited internet acces and a cable telephone service with 500 free minutes in the network and 100 minutes in other networks I pay 9 Euro a month + VAT (I never use all of them). With some 50 tv channels would be 15 Euro + Vat, but I don't watch TV.

The prices you listed are shocking :)

Yeah but but all Americans make $10,000,000 per year... I thought everyone knew that. ;)

Prices in Europe are unquestionably less expensive and always have been. I suspect it has something to do with differences in economic ideology and government intervention (at least in some areas), but I wouldn't know that definitively. Well that, and the fact that our utility services always have and always will gouge us mercilessly.

Anyway, I called Comcast and told them I was thinking about leaving. They offered me the best package they had... every movie channel and the sports package, along with the 16 mbps internet service for roughly the same price that I was paying before. I don't really know why I'm getting all of this, because we really don't watch very much television...

Yeah but but all Americans make $10,000,000 per year... I thought everyone knew that. :hammer:

Impressive, but would be even more impressive if it would be in a more valuable currency :ph34r:

And no, our goverment does not give money to this business. With those fees you could buy a satelite dish and pay nothing. Maybe even buy your own satellite :furious:

All I can say is that the Comcast DVR by Motorola is pure crap, the Motorola MOXI was good, but the newest one barely functions. At least the local government has passed a law that will allow competing cable providers into the area. I have no complaints about the broadband service, though.

BTW, $10,000,000 USD is equivalent to 364.20 Euros. ;)