UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

identify this item?

Guest tbaker

Guest tbaker

Hi all,

I would like to get an identification of this item, it should be roman. I t was found where once was a roman villa. I just picked it up as I passed by. It is made of some kind of metal, not stone. measures about 7cm in diameter. (if it was a complete cirkel)

thx for the help!

frontside:

75052895tz0.th.jpg

backside:

16447146ss9.th.jpg

greetings,

Tbaker.

You should report this to the local authorities, not trying to identify it. You just ruined an archaeological find (assuming that it's ancient) by removing it from it's context.

It appears to be a bronze or copper coin. Perhaps Byzantine, British provincial, Balkan provincial. I'm having a hard time deciphering the legend and the raised center is throwing me off a bit. Can you tell me what the actual letters are and where it was found?

Appears to be AEx?

In any case, I'm not very familiar with provincial coinage... these folks may be able to help Forum Ancient Coins

Guest tbaker

It was found In flanders, Belgium where I live. not so far from my home. Where once the roman villa was, is now a field where a farmer grows crops for his cattle. but today I passed by and I was looking at the field and saw this sticking out a bit. must have been plowed to the surface or something. when I got home, I was told about the villa. and so I began to look on the internet wether I could identify it. in the past more of such finds have been made around here, like an amfora full of gold or small bronze/copper age items. anyway, I will hand it over to the local autorities.

the letters are AB or AE, I cant really make it out. but it cant be an E i think, as the lower section of the letter is made out of a square. so AB would make more sence. I also find it really ( to )big to be a coin, as it almost covers yout entire hand palm.

greetings, Tbaker

Edited by tbaker

I'll weigh in with ... "a button"

7 cm. is almost twice the length of the picture. Pretty big 'coin'. The 'B' is rather odd. The edges seem too regular for a 'coin' of that metal. Are you sure that it doesn't have something to do with a WWI shell?

The next time you pick something up in Flanders Fields, you had better be sure of what it is, or you may wind up in Potter's Field!

Guest tbaker

it is not a ww1 shell, that is sure. not in this kind of metal and this region.

I live far away from ww1 battlefields, and as some rechearch i did meanwhile proves, my town has a history that goes way back beyond the romans, so it is really possible. My first idea was some kind of broche or clothing decoration . but it also could be a decoration of the villa or something. that is what I'd wanted to find out. I would say it is not a coin, as it is to big for that. and yes, it is almost as the edges of the 'B' are in the center of the object.

greetings

Edited by tbaker

it is not a ww1 shell, that is sure. not in this kind of metal and this region.

My first idea was some kind of broche or clothing decoration . but it also could be a decoration of the villa or something. that is what I'd wanted to find out. I would say it is not a coin, as it is to big for that. and yes, it is almost as the edges of the 'B' are in the center of the object.

Ahh... was judging only on first glance.

the letters are AB or AE

AEropostale?

Most finds of this type ends up being disappointing. Mostly it's some early 20th, late 19th century agriculture machine piece.

Most finds of this type ends up being disappointing. Mostly it's some early 20th, late 19th century agriculture machine piece.

CLose inspection does indeed suggest a hexagon shaped hole in the centre - for an alan key, maybe?

the letters are AB or AE

AEropostale?

AEG?

This looks like a part of an object with an inscripted exterior side and an interior side conected to something with a bolt. If this is roman it will be a nice find.

Usually roman artifacts are more then 1 m deep in the soil so I doubt that you can find something less then 30 cm (plow depth) from the ground level.

Still you should give it to your local museum just in case it's something important regardless of the production time. They will know what to do with it and no matter the importance of the object they will be glad that you asked them.

Edited by Kosmo