UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Euro 2008

Viggen

jesus christ, after 30 minutes into the austria/poland game i thought we going to win with 5 goals, lol, yeah right then the polish scored out of nowhere and a brutal clear offside goal it was, after that nothing was working anymore on our site, and then as i though oh well thats it, we get in the 93rd minute a penalty, thanks Ivo Vastic, the oldest player in theis tournament (38 years), ultra cool as always, thanks, now we have a true final last round, were all 4 teams can still advance! :no2:

cheers

(exhausted) viggen

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to you, Vigs - I was rooting for the Austrians, and the penalty was only justice for all those missed chances in the first half. It was an enjoyable enough game, to be honest, although I thought the Poles had a bit more quality in the second half. But as you rightly said, their goal was blatantly offside, so justice was done in the end.

English ref, you see! :no2:

On a sour note - what on earth happened to the Germans today? I loathe Croatia as a football team - always have, and always will - but I hav eto hold my hands up and say they played well today and deserved the victory. However, Germany have got their bad game over with now. I have no doubts they will get through. So, sadly, Viggen, that will mean Austria and Poland don't progress. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you when you meet the mighty Deutscher.

Edited by The Augusta

Heh I was giddy that Germany lost. They don't need another championship, really.

As for the other game...I admit I fell asleep before the equalizer (rough night last night...party out back lasted longer than we all expected), but I did feel for the Austrian goalie. He stopped just about everything that came his way. There were some great saves, and I really hoped that Austria at least tied things up, which they did.

Now tomorrow...I thankfully can watch both games tomorrow (although I'll probably watch most of the first game from the gym), so I'll be happy. I really hope both games are good!

Croatians played well but they also had a lot of luck especially at the second goal. I felt sorry about the german player that got the red card just before the end because he changed things when he got in. Why was the croatian faking like that when the game was seconds from ending I don't know.

The english ref and his colleague on the line really messed the Austria/Poland game but the final result was fair. If Austria starts scoring instead of wasting chances like that they could beat Germany (if Germany plays like tonight).

I hope Romania wins against Italy, but a draw will be good enough for me. And I hope that Holland beats France.

As much as I hate to say it because I really wanted them to do well, but Austria seriously blew it last night. At this level of football you just can't afford to miss three clear cut chances like the Austrians did last night, that game would have been all over after 20 Min's if Austria had had a bit of composure in front of goal, OK Boruc is an excellent keeper and he did well but to miss those kind of chances in such an important game is just criminal.

I think If Austria had have won last night and gone into the final game against the Germans we could have had a shock on our hands, Austria would be full of confidence after the last victory plus with the home advantage and the crowd behind them they could well have got a result out of a not so impressive German team. I know it's still all to play for and I still think it'll be a close game but I think it might just be a bit to much for them.

I thought Croatia were outstanding last night and put in one of the best performances of the tournament so far, they're certainly going to be the ones to watch.

We had a minute of joy tonight but our lead was short lived. It was a nice game with a fair result. We have a good chance to qualify, but we must beat amazing Holland (or make a draw and hope for a draw in France-Italy). The dutch have nothing to fight for in the last game as they already had won the Death Group, but still the team that just gave to the finalists of the World Cup 7 (seven) goals are a force to be reckoned.

I think both game were good, maybe the best games until now. Perhaps I'm subjective now..

OK - it's official - Group C - the Group Of Death is heartbreaking to watch. How often has this occurred in major tournaments? We have here four excellent sides - yes, Romania are playing their part as far as the entertainment goes - and two guaranteed to go home on Tuesday night. So far, all we know for sure is that it won't be Holland who go home - and congratulations to them, they have been magnificent. I didn't think they could repeat their performance against us, but tonight against France they were, if anything, even better. OK, they play on the counter attack, and their defence is a little fragile to say the least (which is the main reason I still say they won't win this tournament), but tonight's match, following on the heels of the exciting Romania-Azzurri clash was marvellous. It has been a day of the sort of superb quality football England can only dream about.

As for Italy V Romania - it had to be Mutu, didn't it? The crack-head ex-Chelsea guy! But then, lo and behold, another ex-Chelsea guy (Christian Panucci) equalised for Italy. Gigi's save from Mutu's penalty was massive, and I still see it as something of an omen. Luca is getting nearer all the time. However, I still can't see the Azzurri winninig this tournament even if they get through - they have no defence. Gigi is playing as a five-man defence at the moment, and he can only keep that up so long, bless him. France V Italy shoudl be an absolute cracker of a game, and it is criminal that one of these teams will go out. Heck, it wouold be criminal if Romania went out too, after their display today. They showed that they have far more about them than just negative defending, as they did against France.

As for Holland - yet another ex-Chelsea lad assisted the second Dutch goal and scored a belter for their third. Why did we sell him? Ah, yes, because he was injury-prone, selfish and fell over when alyone blew on him. But no-one could fault him tonight.

A fantastic group! Whoever made the draw for these four to be in one group with only bloody Spain as the opposition in this half of the draw should be shot.

Now that we have had two games from a few teams I am sizing up all round quality, and I am leaning very much towards Portugal, who have defence, attack and midfield capabilities in equal measure. Well, we will know more next week, but so far, except for Sweden v Greece - this has been a really enjoyable tournament.

Everyone's thoughts welcome.

ETA: I have just seen Maladict's post!!!! Mal - I love you, but on this occasion we are enemies. How dare you!!! I am going to risk the mods' anger and tell you to sod off! :P

Edited by The Augusta

BUFFON! BUFFON! BUFFON! BUFFON!

He's the uomo!!!

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, those two games were awesome to watch. I agree, the Dutch team seems unbelievable right now...Be interesting to see how they do from now on in the tournament. Someone between Rumania, Italy and France is going on...and two others are going home...this is unreal.

Well I've got to say that I'm really really enjoying this tournament!

Nearly every game has been full of excitement, great goals and controversy, even the rubbish Greece V Sweden game had a possible goal of the tournament winner in it. And tonight's games were no exception.

Firstly, Italy V Romania, it looks like the Azzuri are going to have to do it the hard way, they don't make it easy for themselves do they? They've got Gigi Buffon to thank for them still being in the competition after his performance tonight, a great save from Mutu's penalty among others, I actually felt quite sorry for old Adrian, he'd worked his socks off all night and was distraught at the final whistle.

Luca Toni was unlucky with the goal that was ruled off side when it clearly wasn't. Italy are still looking a bit shaky in defence though and Pirlo still isn't firing on all cylinders, he's supposedly the best play maker in the world today but he's clearly not lived up to his potential so far, maybe he's saving it for later in the competition :P On a plus note I was impressed with De Rossi, he was all over the park and was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.

On the whole I think a draw was a fair result, both teams gave a good account of themselves and showed that they are worthy of going through to the knockout stages.

Secondly, Holland V France, another great game, end to end action and good goals. Holland are on fire at the moment, they're solid right through the team and with a subs like Robben and Van Persie to come on they are certainly a force to be reckoned with, but I just wonder if they've peaked too soon??

France I still don't rate, they played better tonight but I just can't see them going any further, they just don't seem to have the pace and energy that they used to and the defence is looking a bit old and ragged too. Henry scored a good goal but I think he too is past his best. Ribery is a good player but he can't do it all on his own.

The Augusta seems to be leaning towards Portugal as potential winners which is not a bad shout because they have a great attacking line up but I have severe reservations about their goalie Ricardo, IMO he is one of the worst keepers in the tournament, he's dodgy in the air and dodgy at kicking, I just think somewhere along the line he's gonna let them down. Where as Holland and Spain for instance also have great attacking options but more importantly they have an extremely sound and capable goalie's in Van Der Sar and Casillias.

But I still wouldn't rule out the Germans or Italians either, these two are masters of the big tournaments and both have a good mix of youth and experience. The start to Euro 2008 has been so good this year that one of at least six teams is still thoroughly capable of winning it.

WOW, I just love talking about football!! I just wish my knowledge of Rome was as good as my knowledge of the beautiful game, I'd probably be an ancient history professor or something!! :lol::lol:

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

France I still don't rate, they played better tonight but I just can't see them going any further, they just don't seem to have the pace and energy that they used to and the defence is looking a bit old and ragged too. Henry scored a good goal but I think he too is past his best. Ribery is a good player but he can't do it all on his own.

Yeah, but the next game is vs. Italy...I would expect that the French would get up for that one. Then again, I hope they don't!

WOW, I just love talking about football!! I just wish my knowledge of Rome was as good as my knowledge of the beautiful game, I'd probably be an ancient history professor or something!! :P:lol:

I'm still learning about footie...so be patient, professor!

The coach made a mistake, Mutu was not a good option for the penalty kick because of low morale, days before the tournament his grandmother died and he was sentenced to pay 12 million euros to Chelsea. Before he was changed he could hardly play at all. Chivu and Tamas had already fired good dangerous shots and they would not have missed the penalty.

Goian, the tall player, has to 2 yellow cards and he will not play against Holland. The guys that made the mid-air collision are still under treatment and unsure.