UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Make yobs learn Latin.

Salve, Amici

The Language Trends Secondary survey 2007 found that 29/678 maintained secondary schools in the UK were teaching Latin at any level, giving it the tenth position (independent schools were not reported).

Data from the MLA Newsletter (Spring 2004) and the ADFL Bulletin, Vol. 35.2-3 (Winter-Spring 2004) showed Latin as the eighth most frequently learned language, based on Fall 2002 Enrollments in U.S. Institutions of Higher Education (1.9 %) .

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt the data collected from ADFL and MLA...however, the situation has drastically changed since 2004. In the colleges and universities that I know of, where friends and colleagues teach, many languages are being cut out for budgetary reasons. The main ones (Spanish and, to a lesser extent, German and French) are ok, but many others are not. Only the huge (aka well funded and/or big in number) places are still maintaining. But two of the universities which I have taught at in recent years have cut half of their foreign languages, including Latin, because of lack of interest and lack of funding. It'd be interesting to see more recent figures.