UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Scipio.

Where would a tribune be on the battlefield?

So I'm writing a fictional biography of my favorite Roman military man (see my user name for a subtle hint). He was present at the battle of Cannae as a military tribune, but where the heck would a tribune be during the actual battle? Would he be leading a set of cohorts, or . . . ?

My history is so fuzzy. I don't feel qualified for the job. :(

According to Goldsworthy's book on Cannae, the military tribunes were not fixed to a position on the battle line. Rather, they were to move around the battle line, encouraging troops and committing reserves.

An also aiding the optio of each entury in pushing men back into line when they start to falter.

Ah, okay, that's straightforward. Thank you very much.

Must have been a pain in the butt when the whole army started caving in around them...

Ah, okay, that's straightforward. Thank you very much.

Must have been a pain in the butt when the whole army started caving in around them...

Yes--especially since the front of the Roman line had been fighting for much longer than the African infantry that had been held in reserve. So the military tribunes not only had their jobs cut out for them, they were also getting annihilated along with their troops.

Not that often. Centurions had a high mortality rate because they were always at the front and thus in a dangerous position (and it must be said, they were usually the first authority figure that rebellious men would take of). The tribune had the advantage of being in the rear, so was keenly aware of his situation and so had a head start should disaster occur.

Generally, yes. But the original question concerned Cannae, where the protection of the lines broke. For Scipio's question about his namesake, he should note that the tribunes at Cannae could find no protection behind their lines.

Okay, so what is the difference between Military Tribunes and the Tribunes that represented the Plebs? Is there even a difference?

Okay, so what is the difference between Military Tribunes and the Tribunes that represented the Plebs? Is there even a difference?

They're different people. A military tribune was a sort of general-purpose legion officer. Sometimes, depending on the general and the time and place, this was an ambitious young aristo out to make his mark, and at other times it was an experienced commander - often from the auxiliaries - who could nonchalantly throw a cohort or two around a battlefield. Caesar makes the comment that news of the arrival of a Gallic army put the wind up his military tribunes 'who had followed him from Rome in order to court his friendship'.

A tribune of the plebs on the other hand was a pure politician. In fact his powers did not even extend beyond the borders of Rome. His duty was non-military and was originally intended to defend the poor people against overbearing aristocrats. He also had to be a plebeian, whilst a military tribune -for example Scipio - could be a patrician. Also, a tribune of the plebs could veto a consul, which would have been a right pain if military tribunes could do so to their general on the battlefield.

So I'm writing a fictional biography of my favorite Roman military man (see my user name for a subtle hint). He was present at the battle of Cannae as a military tribune, but where the heck would a tribune be during the actual battle? Would he be leading a set of cohorts, or . . . ?

My history is so fuzzy. I don't feel qualified for the job. :D

Well he wouldn't be leading cohorts at all...The Scipionic era legions utilized maniples not cohorts, but a rough modern equivalent would be a battalion commander, but apply this loosely. For an overview of a tribunes role read this! Also remember Scipio was mounted at Canae.

Aaaargh! Not another 'equivalent'! Seriously, there's no equivalency at all. Roman organisation is different to ours. The romans wanted a very direct form of command and control on the battlefield. The military tribune of the scipionic era is a time share commander. There are six of them, two in command at any time, the others performing supporting roles when its not their time to command. In general, they would be behind the line in a sort of disciplinary role, ensuring the roman line stays firm. They might also assist in communication duties.