UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Dead Sea tablet suggests Jewish resurrection imagery pre-dates Jesus

The premise that the Messiah died and was resurrected after three days is considered the foundation of the Christian faith, one which differentiates it from Judaism. Through the generations, this belief stood at the center of the debate between Christians and Jews. But now, a mysterious tablet from the time of the second temple has led researchers to believe that this premise of messianic resurrection is not unique to Christianity, but rather existed in Judaism years before Jesus was born.

The tablet, which has been dubbed "Gabriel's vision" because much of its text deals with a vision of the apocalypse transmitted by the angel Gabriel, was discovered eight years ago, but a large part of it is illegible and researchers have had difficulty interpreting its meaning.

Israel Knohl, a professor of Bible studies at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has offered a new interpretation of this text recently, which has sparked interest in the Christian realm. Knohl's interpretation could shed light on the history of Jesus and the way Christianity grew out of Judaism.

Full article at Ha'aretz

The premise that the Messiah died and was resurrected after three days is considered the foundation of the Christian faith, one which differentiates it from Judaism. Through the generations, this belief stood at the center of the debate between Christians and Jews. But now, a mysterious tablet from the time of the second temple has led researchers to believe that this premise of messianic resurrection is not unique to Christianity, but rather existed in Judaism years before Jesus was born.

The tablet, which has been dubbed "Gabriel's vision" because much of its text deals with a vision of the apocalypse transmitted by the angel Gabriel, was discovered eight years ago, but a large part of it is illegible and researchers have had difficulty interpreting its meaning.

Israel Knohl, a professor of Bible studies at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has offered a new interpretation of this text recently, which has sparked interest in the Christian realm. Knohl's interpretation could shed light on the history of Jesus and the way Christianity grew out of Judaism.

Full article at Ha'aretz

Salve, I.

Ha'aretz is trying to get more fun for the same money. Prof. Knohl has been defending this hypothesis for some time:

"The first mention of the "slain Messiah" called Mashiah ben Yosef (Messiah Son of Joseph) is in the Talmud (Sukkah 52a). In my book "The Messiah Before Jesus" (University of California Press, 2000), I argue that the story of this slain messiah is based on historical fact. I believe it is connected to the Jewish revolt in the Land of Israel following the death of King Herod in 4 B.C.E. This Jewish insurrection was brutally suppressed by the armies of Herod and the Roman emperor Augustus, and the messianic leaders of the revolt were killed. These events set the slain Messiah Son of Joseph tradition into motion and paved the way for the emergence of the concept of "catastrophic messianism." Interpretations of biblical text helped to shape the belief that the death of the messiah was a necessary and indivisible component of salvation. My conclusion, based on apocalyptic writings dating to this period, was that certain groups believed the messiah would die, be resurrected in three days, and ascend to heaven (see "The Messiah Before Jesus," 27-42)".

MORE by I. Knohl in Ha'aretz (April 2007)

Needless to that his interpretation is problematic, the reading of the inscription is disputed and I seriously doubt that one could fix a accurate date to the tradition in the Talmud. just as much this tradition of the resurrect messiah could be a result of Christian influence rather than the other way around.

I have had many problems with Professor Israel Knohl interpretations and a number of his hypothesis.

ASCLEPIADES,

I haven't read your book, but there were a number of persons around 50BC-70AD claiming to be the messiah in those troubled times. Most Jews were looking for a conquering messiah (this is why you see all the revolts) at the time not one that would come and died and raise from the dead three days later. Just like all the signs that appeared before the the 66AD revolt, all were looking for a messiah (why revolt when the coming messiah would dead and be the redeeming messiah) who was going to be the one to reign over the Jewish state and conquer all.

I will get your book and read it, and try to keep an open mind.

Of Knohl's works I have found none worthy to the level of the knowledge the of the man, his works are like many of these times; that being controversy sells better.

Being a Christian it is my believe the Christ died and raised from the dead in 30 AD, durning the reign of Tiberus; this is confirm by the dates of the Jewish calendar and the fact that Sejanus is the one that leads the effort to not place Christ in the Pantheon of gods (as Sejanus was killed in 31AD).

I hope you do know the story of the Temple doors, if not take the time to research about the Temple doors, for in 66AD there is a great debate about the last time the doors opened by themselves:

The debate formed on the lines of it was God entering the Temple (which near all sided with this at the time) vs the other side that said it was God leaving the Temple.

This along with Halley's comet ( see 1P/66 B1, 66 (25 January 66 AD) ) all pointed to the sign of a great nation about to fall, all thought it was Rome. That is why the Jews refused to give up in the revolt at that time, they placed thier faith and lives on the hopes of the conquering messiah.

Edited by Tellgryn

I have had many problems with Professor Israel Knohl interpretations and a number of his hypothesis.

ASCLEPIADES,

I haven't read your book, but there were a number of persons around 50BC-70AD claiming to be the messiah in those troubled times. Most Jews were looking for a conquering messiah (this is why you see all the revolts) at the time not one that would come and died and raise from the dead three days later. Just like all the signs that appeared before the the 66AD revolt, all were looking for a messiah (why revolt when the coming messiah would dead and be the redeeming messiah) who was going to be the one to reign over the Jewish state and conquer all.

I will get your book and read it, and try to keep an open mind.

Salve, Tellgryn

It's not "my book"; the highlighted text was part of a literal transcription from Prof. Knohl's article in Ha'aretz.

Prof. Knohl was talking about his own book.

Please accept my apologies for my misleading redaction.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

• 2 weeks later...