UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Roman Child is born

I wanted to announce that my first son was born six days ago. His official name on the birth certificate is Caedicius Antonius Matson. My hope is that he will keep this tradition with his children and so on.

I am in need of customs, prayers, etc, where a roman child is concerned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Let me add my congratulations (or commisserations depending upon how much sleep you get over the next few months :) )as well.

The Lacius Curtis site has extracts from William Smith, D.C.L., LL.D.: A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, John Murray, London, 1875 on it.

Under the entry for nomen it cites the Roman practice of not giving a name to a son until 9 days after they were born:

"In early times this name [praenomen] was given to boys when they attained the age of pubertas, that is, at the age of fourteen, or, according to others, at the age of seventeen (Gellius, X.28), when they received the toga virilis (Festus, s.v. Pubes; Scaevola ap. Val. Max. l.c.). At a later time it was customary to give to boys a praenomen on the ninth day after their birth, and to girls on the eighth day. This solemnity was preceded by a lustratio of the child, whence the day was called dies lustricus, dies nominum, or nominalia (Macrob. Sat. I.16; Tertull. De Idolol. 16).

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roma...GRA*/Nomen.html

Congratulations, LJV, to you and your lady on the birth of your son! May little "Caed" grow up with many rich Roman traditions in your familia!

I am in need of customs, prayers, etc, where a roman child is concerned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Little Caed will require a bulla, of course. I'm assuming that you and your lady are freeborn, and if you're somewhat well-off, then a gold bulla will be most acceptable -- which is a sort of lucky locket that can contain a protective amulet for little Caed. But I would wait until he's a little bit older, first, or at least devise a bulla that doesn't go around baby's neck and is too big for baby to swallow.

May your household gods smile on your domus, in delight of your new addition!

-- Nephele

I wanted to announce that my first son was born six days ago. His official name on the birth certificate is Caedicius Antonius Matson. My hope is that he will keep this tradition with his children and so on.

Gratulatio, LJV et Dominae.

Little CAM's praenomen is only attested as nomen in the William Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology:

"CAEDICIA GENS, plebeian. A person of this name was a tribune of the plebs as early as b. c. 475, but the first of the gens who obtained the consulship was Q. Caedicius Noctua, in B. c. 289. The only cognomen occurring in this gens is noctua : for those who have no surname, see caedicius. The name does not occur at all in the later times of the republic; but a Caedicius is mentioned twice by Juvenal (xiii. 197, xvi. 46)".

Of course, his nomen come from one of the well known Antonia Gentes (ibid):

"ANTONIA GENS, patrician and plebeian. The patrician Antonii bear the cognomen Merenda [merenda] ; the plebeian Antonii bear no sur

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

For any additional information or corrections, you will require Lady N expertise. Vale!

Well, thank you, Ascelpiades. Actually, LJV (formerly known as Julian the Faithful) and I had a conversation in PM a couple of months ago, when he first told me the name he was planning on giving his soon-to-be-born son. I remember LJV thought he'd made up the name "Caedicius" -- until I told him it was an actual nomen gentilicium.

LJV, I think you must have had that name in your subconscious and forgotten that you'd heard it somewhere before. And, I think "Caed" is a great nick for a boy!

-- Nephele

Now i have to find a Bulla!

Or you could make one! Here are a couple of links to bulla crafts for you. (The second one -- the sewn pouch version -- is the one the kids in my public library made when we had Roman Mysteries Day last summer.)

http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0210200/an..._rome/bulla.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/romans/activities/bulla.html

-- Nephele