UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Gear in Cold Weather

What sort of information do we have on what the Roman army did when it was cold, like in Britannia and Germania? I was just thinking that it would not be fun to walk around in the snow with only sandals on. Is it possible that the metal nails on the bottom of a legionary's sandals served as anchors for fabric or leather that would be stretched over the sandals for better protection? Did legionaries stuff their sandals for insulation? What about their other gear-was it the same as a legionary's would be in Syria?

Antiochus III

What sort of information do we have on what the Roman army did when it was cold, like in Britannia and Germania? I was just thinking that it would not be fun to walk around in the snow with only sandals on. Is it possible that the metal nails on the bottom of a legionary's sandals served as anchors for fabric or leather that would be stretched over the sandals for better protection? Did legionaries stuff their sandals for insulation? What about their other gear-was it the same as a legionary's would be in Syria?

Antiochus III

Salve, A3

Paenula, sagum, subpaenulae, fascia, udones, focale, & even trousers

Gravestones from Dacia show legionaries with long sleeved tunics, and at Vindolanda knitted socks and underwear have been found, and referred to on the famous wooden tablets. Also, a more enclosed version of the Roman sandal has been found there, minus holes and loops, and I would say that these, worn with said knitted socks, were probably a standard issue in northern provinces. They are the only primary sources I can think of for now, but it is evidence that the army was as practical in this as in all other matters. Minor inaccuracies aside, I think that the legionaries depicted in the opening scenes of 'Gladiator', wearing woolen trousers and furs, are a fairly accurate depiction - at least as far as the cold weather clothing is concerned.

EDIT: I was typing away there just as Asclepiades sent his excellent link, hence the duplication of information. Send this to Tartarus by all means, as I simply state what Asclepiades' link did a few moments before, but far less thoroughly.

Edited by Northern Neil

I have read that the Legionaries used to stuff their sandals with fur during winter months.

They also had pants, I believe, in colder climates (but only in colder climates. Pants were considered 'effeminate' by the Romans and were only worn when necessity dictated.)

Edited by Lost_Warrior

Gravestones from Dacia show legionaries with long sleeved tunics, and at Vindolanda knitted socks and underwear have been found, and referred to on the famous wooden tablets. Also, a more enclosed version of the Roman sandal has been found there, minus holes and loops, and I would say that these, worn with said knitted socks, were probably a standard issue in northern provinces. They are the only primary sources I can think of for now, but it is evidence that the army was as practical in this as in all other matters. Minor inaccuracies aside, I think that the legionaries depicted in the opening scenes of 'Gladiator', wearing woolen trousers and furs, are a fairly accurate depiction - at least as far as the cold weather clothing is concerned.

EDIT: I was typing away there just as Asclepiades sent his excellent link, hence the duplication of information. Send this to Tartarus by all means, as I simply state what Asclepiades' link did a few moments before, but far less thoroughly.

From personal experience I would point out that one winters day, despite ice starting to form and even some snow falling, I found that wearing lorica hamata under a cloak, was a fairly efficient way of keeping the upper body warm .

At least it was so while we were drilling, although those wearing lorica segmentata didn't seem to find things as comfortable :thumbsup:

After a little while I didn't even notice whether my feet were cold or not despite splashing through several icy puddles but then again that last could have been hypothermia setting in :(

I have read that the Legionaries used to stuff their sandals with fur during winter months.

They also had pants, I believe, in colder climates (but only in colder climates. Pants were considered 'effeminate' by the Romans and were only worn when necessity dictated.)

Salve, LW

From my previously posted link, it seems it was more of xenophobia than sexism (SIC):

"...to the Roman mindset, which tended to think of trousers as the mark of the barbarian (a term which included Persians, along with the other barbarians we would normally think of)".

The roman soldiers wore caligae, a hob nailed boot, not sandals, although I appreciate the visual difference isn't obvious. I did read somewhere that caligae without slots (and hence very un-sandal like) were also used in northern climes but I'm going to check that out.

Edited by caldrail

The roman soldiers wore caligae, a hob nailed boot, not sandals, although I appreciate the visual difference isn't obvious. I did read somewhere that caligae without slots (and hence very un-sandal like) were also used in northern climes but I'm going to check that out.

I recently watched a documentary about Hadrian's Wall presented by the Scottish archaeologist Neil Oliver. In one section of the programme he discussed the Auxilliaries on the wall with another prominent archaeologist who found the writing tablets at Vindolanda. He discussed the matter of sandals and the other expert said something along the lines of "Don't be daft, the soldiers here wore socks and boots. They were far too clever than to walk around with sandals in this country." (Not the exact words mind you).

That said, there was a sandal type boot like the one you described Caldrail in the museum display behind them. I also see reconstructions of soldiers on Hadrian's wall wearing sandals as well, but reconstructions isn't hard evidence.

Edited by DecimusCaesar

I recently watched a documentary about Hadrian's Wall presented by the Scottish archaeologist Neil Oliver. In one section of the programme he discussed the Auxilliaries on the wall with another prominent archaeologist who found the writing tablets at Vindolanda. He discussed the matter of sandals and the other expert said something along the lines of "Don't be daft, the soldiers here wore socks and boots. They were far too clever than to walk around with sandals in this country." (Not the exact words mind you).

That said, there was a sandal type boot like the one you described Caldrail in the museum display behind them. I also see reconstructions of soldiers on Hadrian's wall wearing sandals as well, but reconstructions isn't hard evidence.

THIS SITE shows a few different types of footwear similar to the ones described by Caldrail an DC.

Salve, DC

HERE'S an extract

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

By the by, the "pants" were called Bracae or Feminalia. There seems to be some confusion over the distinction, one seems to have been knee length and the other full length trousers. In any case, the name feminalia is not endearing to a soldier's masculinity. they were not highly regarded

They are depicted on legionaries in several places including Trajan's column, Constantine's Arch and monuments of Marcus Aurelius and Antoninus Pius.