UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ancientlibrary.com

The site seems to have been down for some time. It hosts William Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology which is an excellent resource to double check various references. Anyone have a clue?

Salve, PP

It seems all Isidore-of-Seville.com has been down; I haven't been able to found mirror sites yet. My last successful access was at the early last week. According to the Traffic History Chart, its traffic ceased realatively abruptly at July 26. 2008.

With a little painstalking patience you can consult both WS dictionaries at the Perseus-Tufts digital Library; I know of no alternative for the other resources.

With a little painstalking patience you can consult both WS dictionaries at the Perseus-Tufts digital Library; I know of no alternative for the other resources.

Indeed, as great as Perseus is, it's terribly user un-friendly, imo.

I'm hoping it's a simple problem, but after looking up the domain on who-is, it's registered well into 2009 so it shouldn't be a registration issue. Still the possibility of a host migration could be at the crux of the matter.

Indeed, as great as Perseus is, it's terribly user un-friendly, imo.

I'm hoping it's a simple problem, but after looking up the domain on who-is, it's registered well into 2009 so it shouldn't be a registration issue. Still the possibility of a host migration could be at the crux of the matter.

BTW, maybe one of the admins may contact ancientlibrary.com editor BA Tim Spalding http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6535083.html

I'm pretty sure I was able to access AncientLibrary.com up until just a few days ago. It seems to periodically go down, as several months ago it was down for quite awhile. I hope you get a reply to your email, PP, as AncientLibrary.com is the easiest site I've found for accessing Smith's Dictionary.

-- Nephele

imo one of the following is happening

server chage

host issues - has anyone accually checked there host and there records on there reliability?

Site skin change - once when my father was programming, he had to close the site for a few days as it was a massive site content change.

but hey i dont really know much about this whole site thing, i can only make very basic sites so i dont know of any other explanation

- chris

• 3 weeks later...
Site is still down, and no reply as yet from Mr. Spalding.

I got a return e-mail from Tim Spalding tonight, and he said that he's looking into it. I don't know if that means that he wasn't previously aware that the site was down, but at least it looks like he's giving the matter his attention.

-- Nephele

Salve, Amici.

Site is still down, and no reply as yet from Mr. Spalding.

I got a return e-mail from Tim Spalding tonight, and he said that he's looking into it. I don't know if that means that he wasn't previously aware that the site was down, but at least it looks like he's giving the matter his attention.

-- Nephele

I think we ought to thank the admins their efforts on this issue.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
The site seems to have been down for some time. It hosts William Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology which is an excellent resource to double check various references. Anyone have a clue?

AncientLibrary.com is back!!! ;):P:)

-- Nephele