UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lucullus' Domus found in Rome

From Italian newspaper Il Messaggero.

The Domus, together with a mosaic pavement and a cryptoportico, was found during excavations for the creation of a car park on Pincio hill, in Rome. Cultural and archaeological association Italia Nostra is trying to elicit an answer from the new mayor of Rome, Gianni Alemanno, who apparently hasn't said yet whether the project to build the parking space will be cancelled or whether it will continue in spite of the overwhelming archaeological evidence.

With the new mayor of Rome there seems to be a complete turn around in regard to safe guarding the cultural past of the Eternal City. The zeal to build the parking garage despite the evidence that it would endanger the Domus Lucullus excavations seems consistent with Alemmano's over all attitude toward the City's cultural heritage.

Alemmano is behind a plan to build a Disney-style theme park just outside Rome's walls.

"Often dubbed the world's most beautiful city, Rome's cobbled piazzas, baroque churches and abundance of ancient archaeological sites have long drawn tourists from around the globe.

But according to the new deputy mayor, what the Eternal City really needs to keep visitors coming is not museums, but fun rides. "The model is EuroDisney in Paris," said Mauro Cutrufo, as he announced plans for a 500-hectare (1,250-acre) theme park on the outskirts of Rome, which could be ready in three years, he said.

If Cutrufo gets his way, anyone bored of touring actual remains of republican and imperial Rome can head to the suburbs to see the same thing in fibreglass."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/15/italy

August found Rome built of brick and left it adorned in marble. Alemmano will leave it with a twin, erected in plastic and fiberglass.

Edited by Ludovicus

The Domus, together with a mosaic pavement and a cryptoportico, was found during excavations for the creation of a car park on Pincio hill, in Rome. Cultural and archaeological association Italia Nostra is trying to elicit an answer from the new mayor of Rome, Gianni Alemanno, who apparently hasn't said yet whether the project to build the parking space will be cancelled or whether it will continue in spite of the overwhelming archaeological evidence.

Silentium, do you know exactly where the excavation is taking place?

It doesn't make any sense to me that Lucullus' domus would be located near the Muro Torto. It should be much closer to Villa Medici imho.

Silentium, do you know exactly where the excavation is taking place?

It doesn't make any sense to me that Lucullus' domus would be located near the Muro Torto. It should be much closer to Villa Medici imho.

Practically between Via Gabriele D'Annunzio and Piazza Napoleone.. oh, and the want to install ventilation systems for the car park right in the middle of the terrazza..lovely.

Your observation is absolutely right, if anything the domus should have been closer to the Hortii Luculliani (i.e. Villa Medici) and Lucullus' nymphaeum, which, if I'm not mistaken, was found between Via Sistina and Via Gregoriana, although I remember reading somewhere that the part near the muro torto was actually the part where the servi lived (but I have to check this and possibly post the source).

Edited by Silentium

Practically between Via Gabriele D'Annunzio and Piazza Napoleone.. oh, and the want to install ventilation systems for the car park right in the middle of the terrazza..lovely.

Your observation is absolutely right, if anything the domus should have been closer to the Hortii Luculliani (i.e. Villa Medici) and Lucullus' nymphaeum, which, if I'm not mistaken, was found between Via Sistina and Via Gregoriana, although I remember reading somewhere that the part near the muro torto was actually the part where the servi lived (but I have to check this and possibly post the source).

Yes, the nymphaeum was found near the Hertziana.

I thought the servants' quarters were in the area of casina Valadier, I'd look it up if I had the MEFRA near me but I don't atm.

Yes, the nymphaeum was found near the Hertziana.

I thought the servants' quarters were in the area of casina Valadier, I'd look it up if I had the MEFRA near me but I don't atm.

Oh, in that case I would trust your information more than my vague recollection, I might as well have read it on La Repubblica..

Well, in any case, I think I'll wait for some more convincing evidence before believing it's Lucullus' residence.

Of course. Being no archaeologist I had to trust what Il Messaggero and Rai Tre said :) .

I remember a few years ago, while they were renovating the casina Valadier to turn it into a caffetteria and found ruins underground, they also said it was Lucullus' domus (now I know it was the pars servorum). I guess we will have to wait for more evidence and more excavations on the Pincio.