UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

English Women Prefer Buffy to Jesus

Ursus

But if these young girls become Wiccans because they watched "Buffy", why didn't the "Xena" fans convert to Greek paganism? That's the real mystery.

This article's title is misleading; Dr Kristin Aune seems to have mentioned that TV series in an almost incidental way and she didn't elaborate on the issue; her quoted reasons why women are not going to church are commonplace.

If we check out the Scottish Census of 2001 regarding religious identity, I would think Dr. Aune grossly overstated Wiccam's contribution to British female desertion from the Christian Church.

On the other hand, male may have something to worry about:

"Dr Aune ... explained that figures from the English Church Census showed that among the teenage age group (15-19)

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

But if these young girls become Wiccans because they watched "Buffy", why didn't the "Xena" fans convert to Greek paganism? That's the real mystery.

I'd say, from what I saw of the old Universal Studios-sponsored Xena forum back in the '90s, that the Xena fans were already into paganism of all types. There was also a huge lesbian following of the show, due to the subtext between the main characters of Xena and "Gabrielle" (that name always cracked me up, for its incongruity).

I suppose, unlike some Buffy fans, the female Xena fans weren't watching the show to gain any sense of self-empowerment -- they already were pretty self-empowered to begin with, as anyone could see from their postings on the forum. Rather, they watched the show because they found Lucy Lawless (who played Xena) to be hot. There was an equally huge male following of the show, for the same reason.

I watched Xena because I thought it was funny. I also watched Buffy because I thought it was funny.

-- Nephele

My question wasn't entirely serious, anyway. :D

Basically, while I can appreciate some people can't warm up to Christianity, I equally find it a bit amusing some people chose to pick a religion based on a Joss Whedon character.

I watched Buffy too because I thought it was funny. Well, maybe not the 5th and 6th seasons.

My question wasn't entirely serious, anyway. :D

Yah, I figured. But I just like talking about Xena fans. Someday I'll tell you in PM the story about when I went to The Meow Mix, a lesbian bar in NYC's East Village that had weekly "Xena nights" for the fans. ;)

-- Nephele

Rather, they watched the show because they found Lucy Lawless (who played Xena) to be hot. There was an equally huge male following of the show, for the same reason.

-- Nephele

I liked her much more in Battlestar Galactica. She was blonde here :D

She almost made me believe that there is only one god...

BTW I watched BSG because some of you said it's good and I must say that I enjoyed it a lot. I took me a week to see it all, with pilots and Razor etc but it was worth it. Thank you for the tip.