UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lost_Warrior

Pierced Nipples

I stumbled across this in my wanderings around the web:

According to some, Roman centurions pierced their nipples,

This is the first time I've heard this, and to me it borders on the ridiculous. However, I don't know if it would surprise me any. (Same site also says that Egyptians pierced their belly buttons! I wonder about that one as well, as I've never heard it before.)

Thoughts?

What would the Romans think of something like this, anyway? I hadn't thought that body modification was practiced that much in the Roman world (well, not by "civilized" Romans at any rate.)

(I wonder if this would better fit in Humanitas...if it does someone please move it? Thanks.)

How Goth... I mean Roman... I mean goth... Wait.

Which website did you get this from, LW? A quick Google search reveals a number of jewelry websites making this claim (no surprise there), and none of them support it with any ancient source references.

One site states that it was the leather amour breastplates of the centurions that contained the rings (where the nipples appeared to be on the breastplate), and that the purpose of these was for hanging a cape. But that's certainly not the same as an actual pierced nipple.

-- Nephele

I don't see proper Roman males doing this, LW. A culture that derided actors as "effeminate" would probably find nipple piercings in males to be quite scandalous.

Salve, LW

I stumbled across this in my wanderings around the web:

According to some, Roman centurions pierced their nipples,

It seems this and many other related urban myths were developed by Richard Simonton (1915-1979), aka Doug Malloy, Hollywood entrepreneur and body piercing promoter, at least since the publication of his pamphlet

It seems this and many other related urban myths were developed by Richard Simonton (1915-1979), aka Doug Malloy, Hollywood entrepreneur and body piercing promoter, at least since the publication of his pamphlet