UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Writing a novel, want your input

Neoflash

I'm disappointed to see that nobody gave me a nudge about this topic.

My Top 20 tips would be:

1: Think of things that you enjoy to do, read and any hobbies however silly, from this you can create an area to divulge into. Such as Rome but not just that, if your into football (whatever kind), the camaraderie of sport is a lot like of a unit in a legion, yet always a progressive thing. Thats is a poor example but I hope you get my drift.

2: Choose an era, the more research the better, think of an era which is both riddled with what you want your book to be about and yet if you want to not just retell an historiacl event but expand and intricate a story.

3: Choose whether you rae going to do exactly that, is this a recount of events or a fact based story , or even a mix. A few half-truths and elabortaions of the past shoul dgo unnoticed :D in most novels.

4: Before evn thinking about characters or any of that sort see what happened in your chosen era, even minor parts can be weaved into your story making it credible, believable and still showing you are historical. There is no need to add parts to a plot if they could have really happened.

5: Read heavily on your area, I suggest a good site : UNRV. Just get yourslef in tune iwth what you rae about to start.

6: Plan like you've never planned before, pictures, drawings, a few character profiles, cities, routes, roots. Don't plan too much though keep yourself loose and free.

7: Construct the roughest of plots, will it be a quest, does your protagonist(s) want to go from A to B, or follow history or even does your characterperfom a task. There are several choices, and I don't want to be here forever.

8: Slowly develop characters, try not to make them carbon copies of people you know or yourself yet personal experience helps make a charcter seeem believable. Know your characters, what would they do if all faced by the same dilemma?

9: Use personal experiences, they provide such reality and depth to story.

10: Start writing before you drive yourself insane, don't get bogged down in planning, do it the same time you start. The worst that has to happne is you start again.

11: Always enjoy writing, if you are not enjoying it, your novel will seem a chore.

12: Frequently go over your work to edit, it helps you follow your own thought process.

13: If nothing i going right leaev your noel alone, let your characters come back and speak to you again.

14: At key points go back and edit.

15: Read your work for leisure too. Try and occasionally read it without caring how it flows or spells.

16: Don't rush your novel, take your time. The longer you are left conjure ideas the batter your novel will become.

17: Visit UNRV and other research places as and when you encounter problems. I'm sure people here can remember when i would list a load of questions.

18: You don't have to write your novel in order, if you are desperate to write the epilogue do that, there are no rules or boundaries when it comes to your own writing.

19: Style, semantics, convention of the novel and selection of detail. Incorporating literary techniques must be intertwined into your novel, don't forget that a novel need these to be complete

20: Fianlly have funa snd enjoy it.

I hope thats a help feel free to contact me.

vtc

check out my blog for a tiny extract from my own novel

To add my own two denarii, Neo - others have given sound advice here, but whatever period you choose, please make sure that you are 'steeped' in it! I am sure Lanista, for instance, spent many days while writing his novel, actually believing he was his protagonist (the fact that she was a female only adds to his powers of imagination and visualisation). Whatever you do, do not write 'history'. You are creating a story to draw your reader into the period you love. For that reader, the journey and adventures of your protagonist must be intimately experienced. Your story must be happening 'now', but the 'now' is ancient Rome. Contrast this with the formula that has a story 'set back in time' that is all very pretty and exciting, but the reader cannot experience it first hand. So, know your history in its every detail, but only as the background to your character's motivations.

As far as the history is concerned, the skill here is knowing what to leave out more than what to include. Whilst you find the rise of Marius fascinating, your reader may not want to read about the political machinations in detail. This is hard for us all. We love our particular period of history and in our enthusiasm to share it with the world we sometimes forget that what matters to most readers is a smoothly moving storyline with characters we can love or hate. Most of all, we must identify with the characters. To get your reader to identify with a man who lived over 2000 years ago is your main objective. It's tough. You must not imbue him with 21st century views and morals, for instance. It's difficult to do, but if you truly love your period and 'imagine' yourself as your protagonist, you will find it a lot easier to write a convincing character.

As for historical accuracy - I have one rule: We cannot blatantly change the known facts, but where sources are silent on a topic, we have room to manoeuvre. Nor can we include every fact, but if the history remains in our minds - in the background, so to speak - we will create a more convincing storyline. As you are choosing a totally fictitious character to build your series around, you have much more leeway than someone who takes a known historical figure as their protagonist.

I still have not encountered the delights of Donna Gillespie, but I know that Lanista thinks highly of her. Read and re-read the works of critically acclaimed historical novelists, and popularly acclaimed novelists too, to get an idea of style and content.

Hope this helps a bit.

I am sure Lanista, for instance, spent many days while writing his novel, actually believing he was his protagonist (the fact that she was a female only adds to his powers of imagination and visualisation).

The underwear was killing me, I had to stop.

No, you're right. You do have to "get into character" - luckily, I had several female test readers who would steer me in the right direction. It was important that the character felt and thought like a woman, and not like an idealized version, or a guy with boobs.

It's the same thing here with the protagonist of Neoflashe's book. You have to live the character, but I think the main thing is to give them flaws and weaknesses. Even if you think the flaws are great fun - they don't have to be a chore to write, you can have a laugh with it.

Whatever you do, do not write 'history'. You are creating a story to draw your reader into the period you love. For that reader, the journey and adventures of your protagonist must be intimately experienced. Your story must be happening 'now', but the 'now' is ancient Rome. Contrast this with the formula that has a story 'set back in time' that is all very pretty and exciting, but the reader cannot experience it first hand. So, know your history in its every detail, but only as the background to your character's motivations.

If you're not teaching creative writing, you should think about doing so. This is spot on - know as much as you can, but beware of over spicing the curry with detail. It's not that important - its good that YOU know, but we don't have to know. Let your knowledge seep into the stew (keeping the cooking metaphor going) rather than sprinkling it liberally all over it.

As far as the history is concerned, the skill here is knowing what to leave out more than what to include. Whilst you find the To get your reader to identify with a man who lived over 2000 years ago is your main objective. It's tough. You must not imbue him with 21st century views and morals, for instance. It's difficult to do, but if you truly love your period and 'imagine' yourself as your protagonist, you will find it a lot easier to write a convincing character.

Yep - being a supremacist was the order of the day. Slavery is right - how can the world function without slaves. Foreigners are inferior. You can single out concientious objectors to this pov, but to the vast, vast majority...that was the case.

As for historical accuracy - I have one rule: We cannot blatantly change the known facts, but where sources are silent on a topic, we have room to manoeuvre. Nor can we include every fact, but if the history remains in our minds - in the background, so to speak - we will create a more convincing storyline. As you are choosing a totally fictitious character to build your series around, you have much more leeway than someone who takes a known historical figure as their protagonist.

At the end of the day, it's a novel. You have to make choices, because sometimes the history doesn't fit with what you are trying to do. Essentially, you're writing a fiction and the most important thing is moving the plot forward and telling a great story. But Augusta is right - there's a lot of room to dig things in.

Neoflash has a brilliant idea - "Ryanus" (as I call him, sorry!) is really appealing. That sort of character fits in ancient Rome - I can see all sorts of posibilities with him.

I still have not encountered the delights of Donna Gillespie, but I know that Lanista thinks highly of her. Read and re-read the works of critically acclaimed historical novelists, and popularly acclaimed novelists too, to get an idea of style and content.

Donna Gillesipe should be recognised as the Mary Renault for our times. Her writing is upsettingly good - you kinda know that you're never, ever going to be that good.

Augusta, please read The Light Bearer - it literally changed my life!

Hope this helps a bit.

Helped me loads! Every comment you've made here is on the money and full of insight.

Cheers

Russ

I just wanted to say thank you for all your input everyone, I never thought I would get such good feedback and advice when I first posted.

Neoflash has a brilliant idea - "Ryanus" (as I call him, sorry!) is really appealing. That sort of character fits in ancient Rome - I can see all sorts of posibilities with him.

Don't even think about stealing this brilliant idea, I already have "Ryanus" copyrighted, trademarked and licensed out to Universal for movies, Ubisoft for the video games and Hasbro for the board game and action figures. ;) No but seriously, I think the concept has much potential, I just have to focus and make it happen. With all the help I'm getting from this forum, I believe I can.

Salutations,

Neoflash