UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman writing styles

Lost_Warrior

I noticed the picture of the tablet in This Post. The writing on it...doesn't seem a thing like the Latin lettering that is usually seen. It seems somewhat close to Greek, but not quite. What is it?

Also...what did ancient "handwriting" look like?

Check on an electoral Pompeian Grafitti in THIS THREAD (POST # 105)

Lovely and neat. I'm pretty sure the stuff from Vindolanda was all untidy (the letters asking for underpants and so forth), but I could be wrong. I guess the answer to the question is "the same as todays" - some folk were neat, others less so (and I know what camp I'm in!).

Salve, L

Check on an electoral Pompeian Grafitti in THIS THREAD (POST # 105)

Lovely and neat. I'm pretty sure the stuff from Vindolanda was all untidy (the letters asking for underpants and so forth), but I could be wrong. I guess the answer to the question is "the same as todays" - some folk were neat, others less so (and I know what camp I'm in!).

Then as now, political propaganda has to be clear and easy to understand

Just straight Flavian Latin.

Really? Wow! I had no idea it looked like that, honestly. I'm used to seeing the kind of block letters used in stone etc. I really had no idea the Romans had "round" letters like we do. :)

Have you checked out the 'Vindolanda Tablets'? The writing on these wafer thin scraps of wood is much the same as the example given, and a comparison between this kind of cursive handwriting and the carved capitals on inscriptions is probably much the same as a comparison of contemporary handwriting to the headline pages of The Times or the International Herald Tribune. Here is a link to the Vindolanda Tablets: http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/

Also check out MPC's link on this thread, post 13: http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8903

You are right LW, these cursive texts do at first appear similar to Greek. However, the similarity is illusary - I have been told by people of the Muslim faith that at first glance our handwriting appears to resemble Arabic. But only at first glance!

Whilst I am at it, can anyone PLEASE tell me how I can convert a lengthy link such as the two I have inserted, to a simple word such as 'Here' or 'This' like all you other more computer literate people can?

Salve, Amici

Just straight Flavian Latin.

Really? Wow! I had no idea it looked like that, honestly. I'm used to seeing the kind of block letters used in stone etc. I really had no idea the Romans had "round" letters like we do. :)

Have you checked out the 'Vindolanda Tablets'? The writing on these wafer thin scraps of wood is much the same as the example given, and a comparison between this kind of cursive handwriting and the carved capitals on inscriptions is probably much the same as a comparison of contemporary handwriting to the headline pages of The Times or the International Herald Tribune. Here is a link to the Vindolanda Tablets: http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/

Also check out MPC's link on this thread, post 13: http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8903

You are right LW, these cursive texts do at first appear similar to Greek. However, the similarity is illusary - I have been told by people of the Muslim faith that at first glance our handwriting appears to resemble Arabic. But only at first glance!

letterformsbasicpk0.gif

This is a reading help from the Vindolandia CSAD site (NN's first link); if you check it closely, you may verify the letters are not that different from the Pompeian grafitti.

Salve, NN.

Whilst I am at it, can anyone PLEASE tell me how I can convert a lengthy link such as the two I have inserted, to a simple word such as 'Here' or 'This' like all you other more computer literate people can?

When you are editing any post like this one, you can see the edition toolbar over the upper left corner of your text box's frame.

If you click on the green "Insert Link" button (sixth from the left) you get a message box that asks you to "Please enter the full URL"; after doing so and clicking again, the next message box asks you to "Please enter the title for this item".

You can type it as long or as short as you like; one more click to accept and voil