UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Senate and Pompey's acta

prr

I am interested in reading a biography of Pompey. Seager has one that seems to be the current magnum opus (or at least was when I was in grad school). I see from Gelzer's Caesar: Politician and Statesman that he also has a biography of Pompey. Has anyone read either of these? Would anyone care to suggest another? I really only have time to read one, so I'd like to get one that's good...

My primary interests would be the political bickering between Pompey and the Senate, esp. from the late 60s on to the outbreak of war with Caesar in 49 (when of course they were no longer bickering).

Salve, Prr

I am interested in reading a biography of Pompey. Seager has one that seems to be the current magnum opus (or at least was when I was in grad school). I see from Gelzer's Caesar: Politician and Statesman that he also has a biography of Pompey. Has anyone read either of these? Would anyone care to suggest another? I really only have time to read one, so I'd like to get one that's good...

My primary interests would be the political bickering between Pompey and the Senate, esp. from the late 60s on to the outbreak of war with Caesar in 49 (when of course they were no longer bickering).

Then your interest goes far beyond Cn Pompeius Magnus biographies, from which you seem to be well aware.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

• 5 months later...

I'd recommend Lily Ross Taylor's "Party Politics in the Age of Caesar".

• 1 month later...

I am actually in the middle of reading Seager's biography and while it is a good read and interesting I find that it tends to glaze over Pompey's life without getting into the exciting messy details and alliances that make his life and interactions so thrilling.

One book I would suggest, though does not deal directly with Pompey's politics and so would require some page flipping on your side, is David Stockton's "Cicero: A Political Biography". An excellent read on any account but Stockton does spend some good time with Cicero and Pompey's friendship which reflects directly into the political realm.

You might also want to check out the pertinent chapters of Syme's "Roman Revolution" and Gruen's "Last Generation Of The Roman Republic". They provide differing interpretations of the evidence of Pompieus' allies, enemies and his relationships with the rest of the Senate and the other two eventual Triumvirs. (and are both exhaustively footnoted)

Edited by Pompieus