UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Shoes accident in Roman history

When Michael III celebrated his chariot race victory at a banquet at the palace of St Mamas, the patricius Basiliscianus was invited by him to put on the imperial shoes (the very essence of imperial status). Basiliscianus hesitated (because he knew that Basil I was the designated emperor) and Michael said to Basil:

"They suit him better than they do you. I made you emperor, don't I have the authority to make another?"

Eudocia (Basil I's wife) replied:

"The imperial dignity, O my lord, is a great thing and I too was unworthy to have been honoured with it. But it is not right that it should be treated with contempt"

And Michael III concluded:

"Do not distress yourself , it is my firm intention to make Basiliscianus emperor

And why is it referred to as the "shoes accident"? Was it not intentional on Micheal III's part?

We can call it "the shoes incident" . In my language the word "accident" have double meaning . Michael III knew what he was doing, but he did not eveluate (that is the word ?) the outcome of his action . Basil I saw the shoes on Basiliscianus' feet and acted .