UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Question for you wine-loving learned types

Lost_Warrior

Will it actually hurt red wine to store it in the fridge? (store, not age. I am not planning on keeping it longer than a week- I've got a bottle in the fridge now and as soon as I get one of those bottle stopper things I'm going to drink it.)

I've read various places, and been told, that it's fine to do so (and honestly, after a trip from CA to PA in a non-environment controlled truck/train/etc. I can't see how a few days in the fridge will kill it.) Then I've also been told "no, no, no don't EVER do that!!! It breaks down the tannins! Arrgh!!!"

So...which is right? And for someone like me who just happens to like drinking wine- does it matter?

Will it actually hurt red wine to store it in the fridge? (store, not age. I am not planning on keeping it longer than a week- I've got a bottle in the fridge now and as soon as I get one of those bottle stopper things I'm going to drink it.)

I've read various places, and been told, that it's fine to do so (and honestly, after a trip from CA to PA in a non-environment controlled truck/train/etc. I can't see how a few days in the fridge will kill it.) Then I've also been told "no, no, no don't EVER do that!!! It breaks down the tannins! Arrgh!!!"

So...which is right? And for someone like me who just happens to like drinking wine- does it matter?

In my opinion, it's better not refrigerated because as you said, it breaks down the tannins and changes the taste. However, it will definately keep longer when refrigerated and if you like the taste, who really cares... only wine snobs (like me =P). If you prefer chilled red wine but don't want to corrupt the bottle by getting it cold, try freezing a glass.

I'd only ever heard that it breaks down tannins from you and one other person. My mom had never heard that before, either. Even the guy at the liquor store said to refrigerate it.

I think I'll leave the bottle I have in the fridge, now, because putting it in and taking it out CAN'T be better for it than leaving it in. Since I'll probably open it tomorrow anyhow, and then, it won't keep very long unrefrigerated in this house I'm sure.

I LOVE wine, but it doesn't keep long, and it's 'finicky'. ;) I have a bottle of Carolan's out there. It comes with instructions and lasts six months once opened. Easy!!! I like!!!

Well, speaking as a half - Frenchie (and we should know!!) I have often stored the remaining half bottle of Vin Rouge in the fridge, and the next day allowed it to 'breathe' a while before drinking. No discernible difference!

I think a lot of it may be temp- and really, as long as it takes me to drink a glass of wine (2 hours! LOL) By the end it is quite warm- and the taste is different.

Of course, that same wine, already starting to turn the next day...*laughs* Still tasted good, but, not the same. (And this stuff was recommended to be refrigerated by the manufacturer.)

I've got a glass of Carolan's here, it would be better with ice (which I don't have) but it's delicious! And it keeps being Carolan's for six months in the fridge. I like that. It's not picky.

Allow me a second to rephrase my position... I honestly don't know if the tannins truly "break down"... but in general I notice a distinct difference in taste after refrigeration vs. re-cork on the counter.

EDIT: It's also important to distinguish between different types of wines. I don't refrigerate after opening for two reasons... because I can't resist an open bottle ;) and because we generally drink rather dry red wines. A wine like a Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon is more susceptible to taste changes after refrigeration than a sweet wine or even some table blends (in my opinion). However, some people like certain dry red wines, like Shiraz for example, to be chilled cooler than room temperature. It's really personal preference and do whatever tastes good to you. Just prepared for some moment in time when a wine snob will give you that snobbish look. Just tell them to F off.

I think everything tastes different when cold. I noticed this last night with a glass of Carolan's. Most people, it seems, like to put it on ice- I didn't have any ice but noticed a distinct "twang" that will forever make me think of NyQuil when I first tasted it (chilled out of the fridge.)

Once it started to warm up? The "twang" virtually disappeared. It's good cold, but great at almost room temp. It is. (Of course it has to be refrigerated to keep it from spoiling once opened.)

The wine I currently have is Cabernet Sauvignon (I think.) I'll try it cold then let you know how different it is as it warms up. :P

I wish wine kept better and wasn't so "finicky". A bottle of Carolan's is Carolan's forever in the fridge for about six months. Wine on the other hand....

And don't worry, snobs of all kinds give me snobbish looks. ;)

It's good! :P

Cold, no real flavor, just...sour bite. I wasn't expecting it to be that dry (I haven't had Cabernet Sauvignon to date that I knew what it was. Never met a wine I didn't like though, honestly.) and I licked a few spilled drops off my fingers and at first thought it had already turned to vinegar, even though I hadn't opened the bottle.

I let it sit about ten minutes in the glass (rest went back in the fridge post haste). It's turning delicious as it warms up. :)

It's Barefoot Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon. And it's a gorgeous color! ;)