• Southern Iraq
    • Southeastern Rwanda
    • Northern Mali
    • West of Timbuktu
    • Southwestern Sudan
    • Why should I care anyway?
    • Darfur is a figment of Antiochus III's imagination
    • The United States of America and Darfur are synonymous

I am a sophomore in a pretty good school in the western suburbs of Chicago: one day I decided to ask people some questions regarding geography and current events. Most did not have any idea of where Darfur was. A few kids in an AP class knew, but that was it. It seems unbelievable that this is possible--even at this school which is good--only 33 percent of students can point out Egypt!!! I think that we need to place much more emphasis on geography. In fact, I propose that a world map be included in high school entrance exams. Frankly, it is unacceptable, and I certainly hope you all fare better on this than the people I know. Good luck, and if you don't consider yourself geographically literate, make yourself literate!

Antiochus III

Edited by Antiochus III

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even at this school which is good--only 33 percent of students can point out Egypt!!!

Americans have a notorious reputation for ignorance of the world outside their own country. If you're american and reading this, I wouldn't worry unduly. Most of the younger british population doesn't have a clue either.

In any case, if you don't know where darfur is, just follow the sound of shooting or perhaps chinese freight consignments.

In my day I like to think that people had a general idea of where major conflicts were occuring even if they could place the conflict to within a few hundred miles on a large scale map.

I suppose it is just another example of the problems of declining standards and the 'Hollywood' version of history which now underpins a large chunk of all societies. If it doesn't appear in slow motion in the latest blockbuster then the general answer to geographical questions is all to often 'who cares?' or 'does it matter?'.

Mind you that leads to a whole parcel of other issues with both the film and book world happily switching locations of conflicts and nationalities of participants. I always think of Krakatoa 'East' of Java as I am sure many of these misplacements have now firmly entered 'urban legend' and appeared in reference material of shall we say 'less academic worth' B).

Melvadius

Most did not have any idea of where Darfur was. A few kids in an AP class knew, but that was it. It seems unbelievable that this is possible--even at this school which is good--only 33 percent of students can point out Egypt!!!

Antiochus III

The good news is that if they can find Egypt, they're not too terribly far away from Darfur (though one might want to be as far away as possible).

Just took a quick look and all four of you voters have gotten it right. Congratulations on having some knowledge, conscience, or both.

Add another one to that. I think that was a bit of a given on this forum, though. Go to my local pub when the football is on and the answers will be less consistant.

It seems unbelievable that this is possible--even at this school which is good--only 33 percent of students can point out Egypt!!!

I don't think this is as much a reflection on your "school which is good," as it is a reflection on students themselves who must be spoon-fed everything by their teachers, by society, by their government, etc.

With the vast resources of the Internet these days, students should be better informed, regardless of their school. Besides the ease with which one can access news articles on the 'net, opportunities for discussion of world events (with people from around the world) exist on countless discussion boards -- far more opportunities than ever existed in the classrooms of earlier generations. For crapsake, one doesn't even need to be a member of a history discussion forum, as one can usually find a few active threads dealing with current events on just about any sort of discussion board.

Such ignorance in your school regarding Darfur can mostly be attributed to disinterest on the part of lazy and spoiled students.

-- Nephele

Such ignorance in your school regarding Darfur can mostly be attributed to disinterest on the part of lazy and spoiled students.

-- Nephele

While I agree in general, I'd just like to add that one doesn't necessarily need to be lazy or spoiled to be disinterested in a particular current event; whether that event is historically and/or socially significant or not.

Just took a quick look and all four of you voters have gotten it right. Congratulations on having some knowledge, conscience, or both.

Erm, I don't know quite how to say this except to point out that the 'Poll' options appear to all be wrong.

Although it is split into three federal provinces, the southernmost of which (Janub Darfur) could 'just conceivably be considered in the southwest of Sudan, Darfur 'region' itself is actually in Western Sudan.

Unfortunately 'Southwestern' is the nearest option allowed in the Poll. :(

Melvadius

Edited by Melvadius

-- Nephele

While I agree in general, I'd just like to add that one doesn't necessarily need to be lazy or spoiled to be disinterested in a particular current event; whether that event is historically and/or socially significant or not.

Absolutely, PP. It's just that more should be expected of young people in school. They're supposed to be learning something -- that's their J.O.B. If they lack initiative and personal responsibility when it comes to learning, what does this tell us about the kind of employees they're going to be when they enter the adult world and the workforce?

I have kids as young as 14-years-old working in my public library as shelving pages (the library is their second job, after their main job, which is school), and these kids are self-motivated and well-informed. They go to the same schools as the kids who aren't so interested in learning. It's not always the schools that's the problem -- it's more often the home environment and the kids themselves.

-- Nephele

Indeed, but what I mean to point out is simply that motivation takes many shapes and forms. Often we can misuse the term lazy to describe a student that may show disinterest in some areas but may have a very specific and highly motivated focus on one or a couple of particular subjects. Ultimately, I think we care to much about "test scores" and the so-called well rounded education rather than letting students specialize in areas that they are well suited for.

I'm not saying that a student who only shows interest in building an engine (for example) shouldn't also be taught to read as a matter of course, but not caring about the tyrannical regimes in Africa is not necessarily a sign of laziness.

I'm not saying that a student who only shows interest in building an engine (for example) shouldn't also be taught to read as a matter of course, but not caring about the tyrannical regimes in Africa is not necessarily a sign of laziness.

Is it tryannical regimes or humanity? At work, people dont seem to realize that there is a huge world out there and because of improved transportation, communication etc, what is happening in Darfur, Iran, Iraq, India, Sri Lanka, the Balkans is not that far removed from us in reality.