UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Master of Arts degree in The Beatles

Not to denigrate the Beatles or anything, but what the heck does one do with one's Master of Arts degree in the Beatles, anyway? Become a paperback writer on the Beatles? People are doing that already -- and successfully.

I should think a degree covering the broader subject of popular music, or journalism, would be more useful. What's next? A degree in Elvis?

Sounds to me like it's the university that's going to benefit the most out of this -- from the tuition money they rake in from Beatles fans.

-- Nephele

I finished my masters in classical history a few weeks ago and I can't get neither a phd nor even a job over the summer. Right now following my heart feels so stupid, I should have studied engineering. What the heck should someone with degree in the Beatles do if I can't anything in a serious business?

I finished my masters in classical history a few weeks ago and I can't get neither a phd nor even a job over the summer. Right now following my heart feels so stupid, I should have studied engineering. What the heck should someone with degree in the Beatles do if I can't anything in a serious business?

Klingan - I feel your frustration totally - and there is no real answer to your question, is there? Ye gods - they'll be offering us degrees in nose-picking next! Like Nephele, I don't want to denigrate the Beatles and their contribution to popular culture either, but the lines of academia are becoming more and more blurred these days. I can honestly say that if they offered an MA in David Bowie I'd sail through it, but as we all say - just what would I DO with such a qualification?

I can understand to a point the shift in educational theory that says that degrees and qualifcations these days should be practical and fitting for the modern world. But a Masters in The Beatles, just like a degree in the music of my sainted Mr. B is purely self-indulgence as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by The Augusta