UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aemilianus

Seneca's suasoriae

Hi, I found a few references to Seneca's suasoriae 1.6-7 and I am not able to find a translation on the internet, just wondering whether anyone knew where to find one?

Thanks

First it's important to clarify that this work is by Seneca the Elder (and not his more famous nephew Seneca the Younger). as far as I know there are no translation of Seneca the Elder online, there is a translation made by M. Winterbottom and I suppose you could find it in any university library.

First it's important to clarify that this work is by Seneca the Elder (and not his more famous nephew Seneca the Younger). as far as I know there are no translation of Seneca the Elder online, there is a translation made by M. Winterbottom and I suppose you could find it in any university library.

I dug around a bit too... nothing even available via Google Books. So yes, the best bet is probably a physical library.

Hi, I found a few references to Seneca's suasoriae 1.6-7 and I am not able to find a translation on the internet, just wondering whether anyone knew where to find one?

Thanks

Aemilianus, try WorldCat.org, to locate a translation of this work in a library near you.

-- Nephele

I'm quite sure that there is a loeb version of this text and it should be rather easy to find if you just ask for it at a library.

I'm quite sure that there is a loeb version of this text and it should be rather easy to find if you just ask for it at a library.

Yep: Declamations, Volume II. But if your public or university library doesn't have these, I would still try WorldCat.org to find the nearest library for this, or another, translation.

-- Nephele

Yep: Declamations, Volume II. But if your public or university library doesn't have these, I would still try WorldCat.org to find the nearest library for this, or another, translation.

-- Nephele

]

Ok thanks, I have managed to find it in the library. Was just wondering if there was an online version. I find that it is quite rare to not be able to find what you need on the internet - some of the websites are fantastic for ancient sources.

Anyway, thanks! ;)

On a similar note, does anyone know of any way I can access the history of Quintus Dellius? I am totallly lost.

You're not going to find a history by Dellius, for the reason given in Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology:

"Dellius appears to have been a man of some talent; he did at least some service to literature by writing a history of the war against the Parthians, in which he himself had fought under Antony... This work is completely lost, and we cannot even say whether it was written in Latin or in Greek; but we have reason for believing that Plutarch's account of that war (Ant. 37-52) was taken from Dellius, so that probably we possess at least an abridgement of the work. (Plut. Ant. 59)."

For Plutarch's Life of Antony, which may have had bits based upon Dellius' work and in which Dellius is mentioned, click here.

-- Nephele

On a similar note, does anyone know of any way I can access the history of Quintus Dellius? I am totallly lost.

You're not going to find a history by Dellius, for the reason given in Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology:

"Dellius appears to have been a man of some talent; he did at least some service to literature by writing a history of the war against the Parthians, in which he himself had fought under Antony... This work is completely lost, and we cannot even say whether it was written in Latin or in Greek; but we have reason for believing that Plutarch's account of that war (Ant. 37-52) was taken from Dellius, so that probably we possess at least an abridgement of the work. (Plut. Ant. 59)."

For Plutarch's Life of Antony, which may have had bits based upon Dellius' work and in which Dellius is mentioned, click here.

-- Nephele

The more updated New Pauly seem to mention that a fragment of his work survive:

D., himself one of Antony's commanders in the Parthian War, wrote a history of the campaign (fragments HRR 2,53; Plut. Ant. 59; Str. 14,13,3)

The more updated New Pauly seem to mention that a fragment of his work survive:

D., himself one of Antony's commanders in the Parthian War, wrote a history of the campaign (fragments HRR 2,53; Plut. Ant. 59; Str. 14,13,3)

Yes, Smith's Dictionary mentions both of those Plutarch and Strabo references, but states that whatever may have existed of Dellius' work became incorporated into the work of those writers.

As for the New Pauly's reference to a possible fragment of Dellius' work to be found in volume 2 of the Historicorum Romanorum Reliquiae, I think our friend Aemilianus is going to have a tough time getting hold of that one. I know of only one English translation -- by Peter Hermann -- and can find no library that offers it. There is a copy (in either Latin or German translation) currently available for purchase at ABE Books, for $112.35, but I don't know if that's within your budget, Aemilianus.

-- Nephele