UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Picture of the day.

Klingan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much exciting today, I'm far to tired to get any good shots. Some pictures tough:

gallery_1460_146_74405.jpg

Memory Monument in the Aurelian Walls.

gallery_1460_146_230302.jpg

A typical Roman street. Imagine almost getting killed by the cars all them time!

gallery_1460_146_216476.jpg

The Museum of Modern Art can be found just 2 minutes from where I live. Too bad there's no good art from that era.

Yet another day. Damn I'll never finish this presentation on Etruscan tomb paintings in time.

gallery_1460_146_15688.jpg

An Etruscan terracotta sculpture can make anyone's day! This one is now in the Villa Guilia.

gallery_1460_146_179223.jpg

One of the many gardens in the Villa Guilia.

gallery_1460_146_62852.jpg

A grotesque painting from the Villa Guilia. For those who doesn't know, grotesque derives from the fact that these paintings are heavily inspired by finds in Nero's villa Domus Aurea during the late medieval times and renaissance. Back then it was thought to be a cave painted in this manner and thus is became cave art, grotte being cave in Italian. Notice the close resemblance to the fourth Pompeiian style.

gallery_1460_146_95058.jpg

And the last picture for today, The British Institute. You might remember the picture I posted from the Swedish institute a few days ago, let me tell you, the Brits are in a completely different league.

Klingan, next time you're at the Capitoline Museum, please say hi to my favourite Gaul for me, will you? It's been almost a year since I last saw him. Hopefully he's still alive. :-)

gallery_4254_148_59632.jpg

Klingan, next time you're at the Capitoline Museum, please say hi to my favourite Gaul for me, will you? It's been almost a year since I last saw him. Hopefully he's still alive. :-)

I most certainly will! I believe that I will visit the museum in about 2 weeks, lots of stuff to do ;)

It's one of my favourite statues as well.

Edited by Klingan

The suiciding galatian at the Palazzo Altemps is also a most beautifull statue, I'm sad I only had my older camera with me to take lesser quality pics with it.

The shot you posted wasn't bad though! It's normally rather difficult to get good shots in museums a the light is very dim.

well the picture is a degraded version of my original shot, taken with an old Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom 5.1megapixel 4x, 5.7 - 22.8mm, f2.8 - f/8.0 zoom lens. I would have liked better to take the picture with my brother's Lumix TZ-5, which I hope I'll be able to take with me to Napoli... while awaiting for the brand new TZ-7 to lower it's prizes ! I've discovered that using a wide zoom helps in museum when you don't always have the room to take pictures, but while my old Olympus is perfect for that its sensor is not as light-sensitive as the one on new machines ( it only goes up to 400 ISO while newer cameras like the TZ-7 go to 1600 ISO, which is much better in dim lights... )

It's an absolutely stunning day in Rome today. The sun shines, it's warm and I've spent almost all of it in a library. Oh well, there'll be more days, no doubt, and tonight there's a party at the Spanish institute. Can't wait!

I managed to take a short walk though and here's some pictures from it.

On a side note; the pictures that I have posted the last days have had their resolution slightly changed making them a little bit blurry. I have found out why and it won't happen again!

gallery_1460_146_277265.jpg

Not all good are is ancient. This is a carved monument base (That's what it looks like at least) from the Villa Borghese.

gallery_1460_146_251599.jpg

Well it's time for yet another institute, the Romanian one. Just because we can't compete with the Brits doesn't mean that other countries won't try their luck. This is a good attempt and they reach almost the same class, in my opinion very much thanks to the upper colonnade.

gallery_1460_146_416365.jpg

Morning at the Swedish institute.

gallery_1460_146_176959.jpg

What is a park without a small temple? I will never appreciate the park where I run in Lund again. This shot is taken from the Villa Borghese.

gallery_1460_146_63020.jpg

Finally, a triumphal arch. Also situated in the Villa Borghese, modern or not, it makes the walk to the shop a pleasure every day!

gallery_1460_146_189679.jpg

Mausoleum of Hadrian

Now I'm really jealous. ;) During the siege of Rome (defended by Belisarius in 537 if my memory serves me) the defenders stationed on the mausoleum broke up the statues that were on the top and threw them down on the attacking Goths. I've always felt slightly awed when I've been able to stand and look at something which is specifically connected to ancient events.

As the great Monty Python once said: "You lucky ...."!!

Now I'm really jealous. ;) During the siege of Rome (defended by Belisarius in 537 if my memory serves me) the defenders stationed on the mausoleum broke up the statues that were on the top and threw them down on the attacking Goths. I've always felt slightly awed when I've been able to stand and look at something which is specifically connected to ancient events.

As the great Monty Python once said: "You lucky ...."!!

Actually I just feel cold chills through my spine when I'm thinking about that. Brrr.... I get that warm feeling a hot day at the Palatine when there's no tourists around. (As in one of my other albums.)

I might add that I also post my pictures in both an album here and a Blog made for this trip (http://ancientandold.blogspot.com/). Feel free to visit it. (Even as you really don't have any need for that)

Edited by Klingan

Another day in Roma and what a day! I've been to Cerveteri today and I tell you, there is no place that bring the Etruscans to life as their death and Necropolis does. Even as I knew that the site would be terrific it struck me with it's ancients mystery. This place must surely be the Pompeii of the Etruscans (Lets forget that Pompeii was Etruscan for some time).

I might add that the weather is fabulous and I'm at my very best here. Anyone who have seen me at a ruin know what I'm talking about! It's hot, it's ruins, it's me.

gallery_1460_146_46704.jpg

The entrance to the city imminently strike the visitor with it's beauty. I will most certainly return for another tour.

gallery_1460_146_316594.jpg

The Death Lily, a flower growing in abundance on the tombs of Cerveteri. It is said to bloom on the fields of the afterlife.

gallery_1460_146_108675.jpg

6th century tombs. The Etruscans had turned away from tumulus mounds by this time and now arranged their necropolis's in a tricky Hippodamic manner with straight streets.

gallery_1460_146_332549.jpg

My personal favourite tomb, another picture show the inside but it's difficult to imagine what it looks like anyway. One thing was clear, something went wrong when the tomb was constructed and it looks like two toms intersected by mistake, resulting in two entrances, something that is quite unique.

gallery_1460_146_57460.jpg

Inside my favourite tomb was among other things a chair or throne, a popular detail.

gallery_1460_146_39137.jpg

Inside another tomb, notice the smaller deathbeds for the children of the deceased.

gallery_1460_146_272628.jpg

Walking around a tumulus tomb.

gallery_1460_146_203442.jpg

There's some mystery left at this site, lots to explore and many excavated tombs. Some have unfortunately taken damage but it gives a lot of an Indiana Jones feeling of adventure. I must bring a flash light next time.

gallery_1460_146_48402.jpg

Another tumulus covered with grass and death lily's. Quite beautiful.

As I have very few visitors in the album (and as it is very tiresome to upload the pics at two places) you'll find them at my blog today , http://ancientandold.blogspot.com/.

Klingan

Edited by Klingan

If you mean the viewcount in this thread, i'm sure it undercounts because I sometimes saw reply counts above 0 but with thread views still at 0. Anyway, hoping your blog might end up covering EUR - Museum of the Roman civilization, which I wonder how bad I should feel for missing.