UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Picture of the day.

Klingan

Salve Klingan,

Thanks for your answers.

Living in Rome ? Oh you lucky, lucky man ! You must have done many good deeds in your previous lifes !

The Hippodrome Horti explanation sounds more reasonable, given the dimensions (unless it is much bigger than it looks in the pictures :) ) But they did get up to some funny stuff there on the Palatine. Did you see the temple Heliogabalus erected there for his black stone that he dragged to Rome all the way from Syria ? Well, there isn't much left of it, but it's the idea, right ?

And did you get a chance to see Heliogabalus' Hippodrome ? Not too far from St John in Lateran ? That was a real one if I'm not mistaken.

About the Vaticanus : I just vaguely remember having heard there was something there at the time. Whether a Circus or an Amphitheatre, you'll no doubt know much better than me. I am not much of a scholar and my memory often plays tricks on me.

Yes, I did find your pictures and your blog, but I'm still new around here, so I probably make some quirky detours every now and then. (And thanks for moving my post to the right place.)

And I'm looking forward to hearing more about your impressions of Rome if you will find the time. I do like your pictures. You are a good photographer. But to be frank, I am much more interested in impressions. Pictures you can find pretty much everywhere. But you are not in the habit of wanting to pose in them, as many people do. So that's a good thing. I really hate those ( 'Here's me in front of the Colosseum, and here's me in front of the Trevi fountain, and here's me in front of the Vatican, and here's me ....' where's my shotgun, so I can shoot you and your pictures ?) You'll find out more about that if and when you get into the SVR.

I'll look into that. I am still a novice there too, but they are pretty liberal and not in the habit of banning people. Unless it was a really naughty boy that has used your IP before. But I'll ask around and let you know.

Et salve to you, Silentium. Nice to see a Roman Roman.

In amicitia,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm looking forward to hearing more about your impressions of Rome if you will find the time. I do like your pictures. You are a good photographer. But to be frank, I am much more interested in impressions. Pictures you can find pretty much everywhere. But you are not in the habit of wanting to pose in them, as many people do. So that's a good thing. I really hate those ( 'Here's me in front of the Colosseum, and here's me in front of the Trevi fountain, and here's me in front of the Vatican, and here's me ....' where's my shotgun, so I can shoot you and your pictures ?) You'll find out more about that if and when you get into the SVR.

I decided to get some special shots today to give you something that can't be seen in any picture - a picture of the Cloaka Maxima from the inside of the Forum of Nerva, an inside shot (even if poor) from the Insula Capitolinium and a shot of a warrior in Gaulish armour.

Great pictures as always, Klingan. Thanks for posting. You've inspired me to upload a few pictures of my own from my visit to Italy last year. I'll be doing it over the next few days (don't worry, only a selected few) - this way we can compare notes. :D

Salve Klingan et Omnes !

Hey, great shot of the Palatine Hippodrome, that ! That is exactly how I remember it.

I bet they did put on races there. With shetland ponies and dwarfs. No ? :D

Nil desperandum,

(PS I have asked Aldus Marius to contact you by e-mail to work things out for you if possible)

Edited by Formosus Viriustus

Thanks for the replies/comments guys! It really makes it worth the effort :)

About the banned ip adress FV, I still can't access the site, don't know why.

For those reading my blog (and everyone else too ;) ); I will be gone for about one week from now on, as I'm off to Naples tomorrow and there is no reason to believe that the hotel will provide any internet access.

I'll be back next Saturday/Sunday with a load of pictures!

Klingan

For those reading my blog (and everyone else too ;) ); I will be gone for about one week from now on, as I'm off to Naples tomorrow and there is no reason to believe that the hotel will provide any internet access.

I'll be back next Saturday/Sunday with a load of pictures!

Klingan

Have a great time in Naples mate. I'll look forward to some more excellent pics!

I'm back from Naples and the first 3 days of the trip are uploaded at my blog, the rest will be fixed tomorrow. Enjoy :lol:

Haha I actually didn't mind the weather, it was amazing to see the sewage system in operation!

This is the camera I use, a rather simple model, goes for about 100

Very nice!

That goat sculpture was really a surprise for me. I had no idea that romans had art like that.

There's actually lots of that stuff hidden in the museums, normally off limits, and the picture of the goes being abused is especially common. I cannot quite understand why anyone would have that in their garden though :suprise:

I'll be putting online a lot of pictures of the secret room when I'll find the time to empty my camera of last day's pics and write the three last day summary I need to write for my blog :suprise:

But yes the roman had tastes which surprises us but this goat is not the most surprising i've seen in this realm.

But yes the roman had tastes which surprises us but this goat is not the most surprising i've seen in this realm.

Putting the thread at peril, what have you got that is worse? :suprise: I reckon that the goat is rather detailed.

There's actually lots of that stuff hidden in the museums, normally off limits, and the picture of the goes being abused is especially common.

The fact that these things are hidden it's more disturbing then what that guy it's doing to the goat. The museums cheat by showing a false image of roman art.