UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Napolitan area

Well it's all in the description, I decided at last minute ( that is yesterday ) that I'd go to Napoli for one week, from the 9th to the 16th of April. Since Klingan has had the good idea of asking if you need anything from Rome I told myself I could do the same for Napoli, Pompei, Herculanum, Velia, Capri, Paestum and the various sites of the area : I can't promise i'll visit them all but intend to do as much as possible. So just ask and I'll write it in my small notebook ;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's all in the description, I decided at last minute ( that is yesterday ) that I'd go to Napoli for one week, from the 9th to the 16th of April. Since Klingan has had the good idea of asking if you need anything from Rome I told myself I could do the same for Napoli, Pompei, Herculanum, Velia, Capri, Paestum and the various sites of the area : I can't promise i'll visit them all but intend to do as much as possible. So just ask and I'll write it in my small notebook ;)

Aw too bad that you're leaving the 16th, I'll be there between the 20th and 26th.

I hope that you'll have a great trip!

How lovely, I was there exactly a year ago. Flew to Rome, then after a few days drove south past Naples to Sorrento, visited the Amalfi coast, Capri, Herculaneum and then drove a bit further down to Paestum. It was a lovely trip apart from the stress of trying to stay alive while driving on the Italian motorways. ;)

If I hadn't bought two bottles of Limoncello (one is already gone), I would ask you to bring me some more since we seem to live in the same city (in South Africa right now but will return next week).

Have a wonderful time!

If I hadn't bought two bottles of Limoncello (one is already gone), I would ask you to bring me some more since we seem to live in the same city (in South Africa right now but will return next week).

I believe that I had a sip of that stuff last night:p

Did you like it? I think it's delicious!

asking if you need anything from Rome I told myself I could do the same for Napoli, Pompei, Herculanum, Velia, Capri, Paestum

Maybe pictures inside Paestum Museum, which is quite nice and not yet finished IIRC by my last visit. Also how about pictures of favorite local cuisine... like mild Sorrento lemons, Caprese salads/sandwiches, blood orange drinks, and smooth gelato:

64625_pp_it_ilmondodellapasta_isaporiregionali_limonidisorrento_01_145.jpgm00100.jpgW01030.jpgsplash2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Pouzzole today but the Rione Terra was closed unfortunately so I could not take pictures of the area except a few general shots. Sorry Maladict. For the Piscina Mirabile it should be on my agenda for thusday if i'm not mistaken.

Views of Napoli, Napoly underground aquaduct system, San Lorenzo complex (with macellum and cryptoportico), National Archeological Museum Napoli, Pouzzole, Pouzzole amphitheater and Solfatara are already online on http://picasaweb.google.com/bryaxis and a full description of my travel is availlable (in french) on http://www.bryaxis.be

More hopefully coming soon !

You have some cool pictures! I recognise many of the places you've been to. And I like your photos of Brussels too - I missed all that snow as I was not in Belgium this past winter.

Edited by Aurelia

I've been to Pouzzole today but the Rione Terra was closed unfortunately so I could not take pictures of the area except a few general shots. Sorry Maladict. For the Piscina Mirabile it should be on my agenda for thusday if i'm not mistaken.

I spent a week in Pozzuoli a few years ago. If you get chance take in the ruins at Baia(e), the Grotto of the Sybil and Cumae. Thanks for the posts - bringing back great memories.

PS. If you get to Baia(e), is the upside-down tree still there?

You have some cool pictures! I recognise many of the places you've been to. And I like your photos of Brussels too - I missed all that snow as I was not in Belgium this past winter.

I was working in Brussels in November/December 08 and the weather was atrocious, it pretty much snowed and rained for three days solid and I was working outside Brrrrrrrr!!! ;)

I particularly remember one Saturday night, there was a serious blizzard going on, it was that bad that we couldn't leave the pub until it had calmed down!! I was really really gutted..............Not!! :lol:

I was working in Brussels in November/December 08 and the weather was atrocious, it pretty much snowed and rained for three days solid and I was working outside Brrrrrrrr!!! ;)

I particularly remember one Saturday night, there was a serious blizzard going on, it was that bad that we couldn't leave the pub until it had calmed down!! I was really really gutted..............Not!! :lol:

May I ask what you do that you have to work outside?? Are you an engineer?

Yes, wintry landscapes normally look more romantic in photos that in real life, lol. I do like snow, but I would be lying if I said I'd rather be here than Brazil in December (I did get some rain there as well but at least I could go to the beach afterwards :P ).

May I ask what you do that you have to work outside?? Are you an engineer?

Yes, wintry landscapes normally look more romantic in photos that in real life, lol. I do like snow, but I would be lying if I said I'd rather be here than Brazil in December (I did get some rain there as well but at least I could go to the beach afterwards :lol: ).

I'm a Sign Installation Engineer, I spent 3 months installing and repairing Lexus signs through out Europe. It was good but just a shame we had to do it in the winter months instead of the summer months! ;)

I'm a Sign Installation Engineer, I spent 3 months installing and repairing Lexus signs through out Europe. It was good but just a shame we had to do it in the winter months instead of the summer months! ;)

Wow, not bad! Pity indeed that you came in winter. Brussels is quite a lively place in summer with its bars, cafes, open air concerts, etc. You should give it a another chance. :lol: