UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

L'Aquila earthquake damaged Baths of Caracalla

But pretty minor damage, right? Italians are quoted in http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/04/07...Italy.html?_r=1 as saying Roman and rennaisance buildings were constructed better for earthquakes than those that followed. If you can't read the link, it says medieval times were too poor to construct well, and that cultural reasons were the issue more recently. They say simple reinforcements like chains could have saved most of the old buildings and modestly better quality control should have saved many new ones... and muse why no action on this quake after quake.

Hmmm, now I recall many Greek sites severely scattered by quake damage, but rarely Roman. I guess the Roman mortar is not only a help, but it is used with a rather extreme ratio of surface area on the brick. Ratio of mortar binding area per unit volume of (flattish) brick being higher than maybe anytime in later history?

But pretty minor damage, right? Italians are quoted in http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/04/07...Italy.html?_r=1 as saying Roman and rennaisance buildings were constructed better for earthquakes than those that followed. If you can't read the link, it says medieval times were too poor to construct well, and that cultural reasons were the issue more recently. They say simple reinforcements like chains could have saved most of the old buildings and modestly better quality control should have saved many new ones... and muse why no action on this quake after quake.

The Baths of Caracalla were, obviously, well constructed to still be standing, even in their fragmented form this many neglectful centuries later. But, they are ancient and not there in toto, so I can understand where they could become damaged in a quake like this. When you walk through the Baths there are only portions of cupolas, arches without all their supporting walls and walls that stand alone. There are places that catch your eye and make you ask, "How is that still standing?" or "What holds that up?" These are the more fragile parts of the Bath complex that could be toppled by a quake. Like everyone, I hope the damage is minimal. The ancient ruins of Rome are so incomplete as it is. We can't afford to lose any more.

Edited by M_Agrippa fecit

As I was driving to work today, I heard National Public Reporting reporting on this. It seems most of the buildings damaged in the quake were modern homes constructed in the last 30 years.

2000 year old Roman ruins, by contrast, faired much better.

They don't make them like they used to, I guess.

I'm a bit worried about Hadrian's Villa, since Tivoli is straight toward the epicenter and also has precarious high features. That seems one of the few spots on the tourist radar much nearer to the epicenter I would guess; strange how close Abruzzo is to Rome but with quite unfamiliar town names.

Of course most thoughts are for folks who may be trapped, with time running out. Or even the many more with upset stomachs, but no access to bathrooms with running water even in prospect.

I don't know if the Italian "experts" being quoted are correct in saying all deaths were cheaply preventable, and all buildings should have stood with only cracks. I heard the same thing after the Assisi quake, but it could be exagerations. Of course the loss of an entire 1st grade class in Naples 2002 building collapse has been recently ruled criminal.

Once again we see how fragile people and their creations can be against forces of nature. I've only slept through one minor earthquake in my life, and that harmed one or two people. Nothing like the scale of loss in Italy recently.

I too worry about this, but for other reasons. Tectonic movement and the volcanic activity it generates is an on-going process. Apparently the L'Aquila quake is the result of the Spinal Italian Fault opening. Now I'm not an expert geologist at all, but this seems to me to indicate that there's gouing to be fresh magma under it. How long will be before Vesuvius blows it's top again? There are increasing worries about the safety of Naples.

Earthquakes are portents of angry gods are they not? I hope I'm wrong.