UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Flavius Aetius

Guest Maximus Decimus Meridius

Guest Maximus Decimus Meridius

In the Post about the greatest generals of the ancient world, none mentioned Flavius Aetius the man who defeated the Germans, Conquered Attila the Hun and thus saving the Western Empire from the barbarians who were invading and plundering Roman provinces.

So what are your thoughts of Aetius "The Last Of the Romans".

Since he had spent a large amount of time as hostage to the Goths and then to the Huns, he had a good grasp of their society and its leadership stuggles. He played a good Machiavellian game as king maker and by playing the Germans against each other.

As far as defeating Attila, I would say he blew it. Fortunantely Attila died a year or so later while still sacking Italy. While he was able to get a Goth king (Thorismund) his throne, there were still the Huns...bloody but still just as dangerous.

Aetius was acting like a powerful roman of imperial times, so I can't say that Valentinian killing him was a bad idea...from his perspective. Could Aetius have become emperor? Yes, and he might have been a good one, but the world was already turning away from Rome and roman ways.

Aetius the Emperor, an interesting idea.

• 1 year later...
So what are your thoughts of Aetius "The Last Of the Romans".

I wonder why do people call him "The Last Of the Romans"? And why do they love him at all. He defeated Attila, that`s true, but because of his intrigues Romans lost Africa and one of the best men of the Empire, Bonifacius, was killed. He gained the power in 3 days after the accession of Valentinian III with the help of barbarian army of usurper John; and he could be an emperor if he defeated the army of Eastern Roman general Aspar but the battle was a draw and then Aetius reconciled with Valentinian and got the title comes. He was a real ruler of the Western Empire and all deeds of Valentinian`s administration - that`s his deeds. He was killed and I don`t regret about it.

i recalled from memory, from the book "The Conclave" that it is the

Roman Catholic marching in two parallel line with candles in their hands

and with the continous loud ringing of the church bell that makes

Attila "The Huns" causes it's retreat simply by reason of supertitious

belief. after he see them on the other side of the river.

Flavius Aetius's final legacy has been similar to that of Stilicho.

Both men were the best Roman generals of their time, and both were killed by jealous emperors. A

Edited by Neos Dionysos

Wasn't Aetius supposed to have been in a position to completely defeat the Huns and kill Attila at Chalons? Apparently, towards the end of the battle, Attila had a pyre built for himself, in case his section of the army was overrun. Thus he could cremate himself and stop his being taken prisoner or even having his body fall into the hands of Aetius' army.

However, when Aetius had this position of strength, he decided not too rout the Huns; instead, he persuaded his allies to withdraw, and halted himself. He was supposed to have thought that if he completely eliminated the threat of the Huns, then the Visigothic and other barbarian allies whom he persuaded to help him would not need Rome anymore, and Rome would face yet another barbarian invasion. He desired a balance between his allies and the Huns, which he thought would give Rome time to get back on it's feet. I believe this shows quite an intelligent person in Aetius, but it also reflects exactly in what sort of position Rome was in at the time, and ties in with the usage of barbarian soldiers.

Wasn't Aetius supposed to have been in a position to completely defeat the Huns and kill Attila at Chalons? Apparently, towards the end of the battle, Attila had a pyre built for himself, in case his section of the army was overrun. Thus he could cremate himself and stop his being taken prisoner or even having his body fall into the hands of Aetius' army.

However, when Aetius had this position of strength, he decided not too rout the Huns; instead, he persuaded his allies to withdraw, and halted himself. He was supposed to have thought that if he completely eliminated the threat of the Huns, then the Visigothic and other barbarian allies whom he persuaded to help him would not need Rome anymore, and Rome would face yet another barbarian invasion. He desired a balance between his allies and the Huns, which he thought would give Rome time to get back on it's feet. I believe this shows quite an intelligent person in Aetius, but it also reflects exactly in what sort of position Rome was in at the time, and ties in with the usage of barbarian soldiers.

There is this version of the story... the other being that casulties were so high on the Roman and allied side that they were not in a position of strength enough to completely anhilate Attila and his Huns even though they wanted to.

Ah, fair enough. The other version is perhaps propaganda...

To add a point, while I have heard so much more of the version that he could not due to casulties I would much more like to beleive the version that Aetuis wished to keep the balance and knew how to play off the barbarians with each other. Another important fact that might support your version is that Aetuis growing up amongst the Huns knew very well how perhaps important they were to Rome, despite the problems they have given since now they have been 'checked' and with Aetuis around, he could ensure perhaps thier behavior. Of course saying such a comment to the emperor would be almost crazy... and so perhaps the other version was circulated... in addition, his not destroying the Huns also ensures that he will be needed and that this would be a safeguard to any attempts Valentinian III might have in trying to get rid of him, afterall he was the first general to defeat Attila and IIRC, the only person other than "God", though I think that was a fabricated story, and that he was really killed by his new wife, just his Huns could not obviously say the 'Scourage of God' was killed by a woman.