UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Parzival

Viggen

While i cleaned one of my book shelf, i stumbled over a book named Parzival by german poet Wolfram von Eschenbach from the 13th century, i read when i was around 12, and i remembered the massive scope of this book and the feeling of Epic. In hindsight now that i think about it, it most probably was a catalyst for my interest in History... as it covers the search for the Holy Grail, i would assume it must be popular with the english speaking world too?

cheers

viggen

That work was one of the major stepping stones of the current arthurian mythos, although there were many different versions of the same tale written by different authors.

If I remember correctly, the original was by Chretien De Troyes which was never finished. He died before he completed it and the real secret of the Grail was never revealed, but the story was taken up by a variety of different authors who wrote their own endings.

The first literary work dealing with the legend of King Arthur I read was La Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Mallory, when I was around 13. I remember thinking it was rather dry so I switched over to The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, hehe...

Edited by Aurelia

Mallory's work was a later version of the Arthurian story and yet it often gets the credit for being the source. In fact, many Arthurian tales were originally derived from either celtic legend or Geoffery of Monmouths 'interesting' history of Britain. Sadly, Marion Zimmer Bradley must be consigned to the ranks of derivative works. :thumbdown::naughty:

Mallory's work was a later version of the Arthurian story and yet it often gets the credit for being the source. In fact, many Arthurian tales were originally derived from either celtic legend or Geoffery of Monmouths 'interesting' history of Britain. Sadly, Marion Zimmer Bradley must be consigned to the ranks of derivative works. :thumbdown::naughty:

Oh, yes, absolutely. I don't regard MZ Bradley's work as original but it's still good fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly, Marion Zimmer Bradley must be consigned to the ranks of derivative works. :P;)

And dull, Calders - she's so Dull! I remember slogging through The Mists of Avalon years ago and giving up half way.

Sadly, Marion Zimmer Bradley must be consigned to the ranks of derivative works. :P;)

And dull, Calders - she's so Dull! I remember slogging through The Mists of Avalon years ago and giving up half way.

Noooo, it's not dull! I remember reading it for the first time when I was 13 and I think I must have re-read it at least 4 or 5 times after that (it was one of my favourite novels for quite some time). True, I haven't tried to read it again in a while, but I do have fond memories of it... :)

Noooo, it's not dull! I remember reading it for the first time when I was 13 and I think I must have re-read it at least 4 or 5 times after that (it was one of my favourite novels for quite some time). True, I haven't tried to read it again in a while, but I do have fond memories of it... ;)

I have very fond memories of reading Karl May when I was 13. 'nough said ?

F :P rmosus

• 2 weeks later...
While i cleaned one of my book shelf, i stumbled over a book named Parzival by german poet Wolfram von Eschenbach from the 13th century, i read when i was around 12, and i remembered the massive scope of this book and the feeling of Epic. In hindsight now that i think about it, it most probably was a catalyst for my interest in History... as it covers the search for the Holy Grail, i would assume it must be popular with the english speaking world too?

cheers

viggen

Coming back to the subject. I must admit I have never read Wolfram von Eschenbach, nor Chretien de Troyes, nor Sir Thomas Mallory. I'm afraid German and French 12

Edited by Formosus Viriustus