UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DDickey

The Division of Alexander's Empire

Okay, friends, I need some more recommendations. I'm looking for some authoritative--yet affordable--books on the division of Alexander the Great's kingdom on his death. I'm ill-informed on this period and would like to correct that. Is scholarship on this period plentiful?

Okay, friends, I need some more recommendations. I'm looking for some authoritative--yet affordable--books on the division of Alexander the Great's kingdom on his death. I'm ill-informed on this period and would like to correct that. Is scholarship on this period plentiful?

Well, I would most certainly recommend Peter Green's 'Alexander to Actium'.

True, it's the only one I've ever read on the subject and that has been a few years now.

But I still think it is by far the best history book by a present day author that I' ve ever read on any subject.

It's a bit pricey probably, but I found it in the public library in the original edition here in Belgium, years ago, so ...

And parts of it are on-line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Green_(historian)

http://books.google.com/books?id=1QOvJ14Jx...l#PRA2-PA306,M1

Formosus

The current edition of Ancient Warfare Magazine deals with the military aspects of exactly this subject. Watch out for review in the next few days...

Try getting a copy of Bob Bennet and Mike Robert's The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323-281 BC. There's two volumes, although the second hasn't been released yet. The book is more military centric, although it's still well written and readable.

Here's the book on Amazon:

Alexander's Successors

Edited by DecimusCaesar

BTW, most of the books that I have been able to check out on this topic name the Seleucid Kingdom as "Syria".

This may be misleading; for a long time (ie, under Seleucus I or Antiochus III) this dynasty ruled over an immense Empire (presumably the biggest of its time) equivalent to the Achaemenid Empire under Artaxerxes II and including the vast majority of Alexander's conquests, sometimes even holding a foot in either Europe, Africa or India; its maximum size was in the same order of magnitude of the Roman Empire at its acme.